BrainerdSteve's new set up

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

BrainerdSteve
Egg
Egg

BrainerdSteve's new set up

Post by BrainerdSteve »

Hello. This is my first post. I just got everything today. I have a one gallon glass cylinder, a piece of very porous argonite dead coral (lots of tiny spaces for algae and microbes), and 72 grams per gallon of fluval marine reef salt (should give me 1/2 osmolality of seawater). The light is a 13 watt compact fluorescent on a 12hr. Per day timer. Not surprizingly, NH3, nitrires, nitrates are all zero.

My plan is to order macro algae (should I order snails at the same time?) From Mustafa in a few days, keep checking NH3, nitrates and nitrites every week, then order 10 Opae ula when it is cycled.

The pictures are boring and lifeless, but a good start I think! The cylinder magnifies everything, so the top view gives a more acurate view of proportions.

Comments please! I will post more pictures as things develop.
Attachments
Day zero
Day zero
rps20150501_133144_583.jpg (51.08 KiB) Viewed 8834 times
top view.jpg
top view.jpg (42.76 KiB) Viewed 8834 times
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: BrainerdSteve's new set up

Post by Mustafa »

Nice! :) You may want to put a fine layer of sand or something in there...otherwise shrimp poop will accumulate over time and form a substrate of its own. :) Plus the snails are burrowing snails and like being in a substrate.
BrainerdSteve
Egg
Egg

Re: BrainerdSteve's new set up

Post by BrainerdSteve »

Thanks Mustafa! The sand is a good idea. Also, I will follow your email advice and add snails and macroalgae in about 2 weeks.