Shrimp Swimming Crazy

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

sl0th
Egg
Egg

Shrimp Swimming Crazy

Post by sl0th »

Ok... So I've posted here before. I have a 5g tank with about 15 opae, 2 snails, and 1 dwarf blue legged hermit crab. Everything has been fine for the 6 months. I've had a berried opae, but she dropped all of the eggs and currently she is saddled again. Mostly the shrimp hang out in the rocks and never come out unless its dark. Today all of a sudden they are all out swimming laps around the tank. I can see 1 snail and the hermit crab, but the other snail is missing. I've tested the water and everything is normal and so is the salinity. No major changes at all recently. I think the shrimp seem whiter than normal. Any idea whats causing this? If I lose them I'll be sad :(
Last edited by sl0th on Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
sl0th
Egg
Egg

Re: Shrimp Swimming Crazy

Post by sl0th »

All the shrimp are fine. If anyone else experiences this... it is due from a female getting ready to lay her eggs. The next morning I noticed a female had laid her eggs so this has to be the explanation. She last laid her eggs in November, lets hope we get some babies from this batch! :)
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Sloth just to let you know people are reading your posts. I am sure there are others like me who if we do not have an answer leave no responce as opposed to saying I have no answer.

Ken
sl0th
Egg
Egg

Post by sl0th »

Thanks, I figured no one had any idea... with the water and salinity being fine I kind of felt helpless, but I'm glad I figured it out and everything is ok! I've never heard of opae ula doing this when a female is getting ready to lay her eggs. I've never witnessed it before. Hopefully this will help out someone in the future that experiences the same.