Snail ???

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

turtle
Egg
Egg

Snail ???

Post by turtle »

I got 2 Nerite snails to live with Fred (whom I never see :( ) They cleaned everything up very nicely but now I am worried they have nothing to eat. The guy at the aquarium store said to feed them some lettuce, cucumber or zucchini. I gave them 2 small cucumber slices and 2 small romaine pieces. I do not see them eating them at all and the water got cloudy within 2 days. I took they food out and added some fish flakes. What should I fee them now that the algae is all cleaned up? Thanks!
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Snail ???

Post by minishrimps »

I put in a little piece of algae wafer every couple weeks... Hikari brand. pretty cheap and just a small chunk of the wafer, a whole wafer is way too much...
turtle
Egg
Egg

Post by turtle »

Thanks! How big a chuck? They seem to eat a ton of algae.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

turtle wrote:Thanks! How big a chuck? They seem to eat a ton of algae.
I would say put in a smaller one than you think is needed and see how long it lasts. Also see how your nerites behave. Mine in my freshwater tanks will spend days sometimes just sitting in one place, i.e. they don't feed all the time. If they're moving around a lot and there isn't any visible algae to eat, then give them a bit of a wafer. If they ignore it or only eat a bit of it then don't try again for a while.