MiniShrimps

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: MiniShrimps

Post by Mustafa »

I don't think food is scarce in your tank...hence the shrimp are hiding (and growing). Once food becomes more scarce the shrimp will come out and actively look for it all over the tank. :)
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

So late last night i turned on my tank light to watch the shrimp for a littel while. They are still most active during the "lights out". I noticed a shrimp i haven't see in a while making an appearance and so w looked a little closer to see that she was carrying 7 little eggs! :D I only got to see her for about 45 seconds and she went back into the cave to hide again, but I have my first berried shrimp! Woohoo! I can't wait for larvae! How long do the shrimp hold onto the berries before they hatch?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

About 30-35 days is what I was told back when I got my first berried females. You'll know they are near hatching as the eggs change shape and even start to move about as the larva struggle to get free.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Varanus wrote:About 30-35 days is what I was told back when I got my first berried females. You'll know they are near hatching as the eggs change shape and even start to move about as the larva struggle to get free.
Sweet I can't wait! But to be honest, I have no idea how long she's been berried, I haven't seen her before last night, I think there are a couple shrimp hiding out in the cave i haven't seen yet... bring on the larvae! :lol:
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Boom! Larvae! I spotted at least four larvae floating around last night and one this morning. The others (from last night) disappeared so perhaps they went to hide until they are a little bigger... Baby Shrimp! So cool! :D
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

So I have seen a few of the larvae here and there but none that have transitioned into shrimplets yet. I saw one last night kind of popcorning around maybe trying to molt... They seem to disappear for a little while then pop up again.

I moved my tank to an area of my house that is less disturbed by vibration but is about four or five degrees cooler overall, meaning, the basement. This spot also gets about an hour of early morning sunshine (which I think is ok since it isn't too hot at 6:30 a.m. and is really indirect since it's coming through the tree canopy) and today I noticed the shrimp were out early seemingly basking in the rays of light. I did this so the algae would grow a little stronger as I'm worried about my nerites having enough to eat... I have a shade to go behind the back of the aquarium if I discover the light is too much but i think the shrimp may actually like it :D

Anyone else have some sunlight peaking in on their tanks? Anyone experience adverse reaction to this?
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

my first shrimplet is swimming around happily! I wonder where his friends went? Maybe a 1 shrimplet success story... :D
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Chances are there are a fair number more than you see, newly metamorphosed shrimps are incredibly good at hiding and don't become active and outgoing like the adults until they get a little bit bigger.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

So i think i need a small tank heater since my move of tanks to the basement. Any suggestions for heaters for 5 gallons and 2.5 gallon tanks?
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

I snuck down last night to check the tank after the light had been off for a few hours and there on the lava rocks was another berried female. :D She had about 7 or 8 eggs that I could count but she quickly moved back into the cave when the light came on so I only saw her for about twenty seconds...
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

An hour of sunlight should be fine IF your tank is not super small. I still recommend only indirect daylight to be on the safe side. Small containers heat up way too easily. As for heaters....I have none, so can't really recommend any. I honestly don't think you need one...especially not now (Summer) even if your tank is in your basement. Congrats on the babies! You'll see more pop up soon as they usually hide for a few days to weeks.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Found another hatching of eggs today. Quickly, I counted about 8 little floaters... I don't know that any of my previous hatchlings made it. I haven't seen any shrimplets in a while...

I go down and check the tanks every morning and they don't heat up very much at all from the little bit of sunshine a degree or two at best and often I find the shrimp are swimming around happily through the parts in the tank where the sun shines in. They seem to like it.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Noticed another berried shrimp today! I counted 9 eggs... and at least 12 little larvae swimming up and down...
nova
Egg
Egg

Post by nova »

Thats great news! What temperature is your tank water and what salt content are you running? :D
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

nova wrote:Thats great news! What temperature is your tank water and what salt content are you running? :D
I don;t know temperature i don't have a thermometer but it's about 68 degrees in the room where my tank is...

My salinity is about 1.011