Moving my 1 Gallon to a 5 Gallon

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

shrimpy4
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Moving my 1 Gallon to a 5 Gallon

Post by shrimpy4 »

I've decided I want to give my shrimp (+ snails and one dwarf hermit) some more room to move around. Haven't seen any new berried shrimp for the last 6-8 months.

I'm going to start cycling my new 5.5 gallon (static, no filter or lights) tank over the course of this next week. I plan to give that a lot of time, probably 3-4 weeks before I consider moving my occupants in.

Main question is if anybody has tips on how to transfer the occupants of my 1 gallon bowl into that 5 gallon tank when it's ready?

- The algae is easy enough, it's all in a mass so I'll just lift it out. Same goes for all the "decoration" I have in there now, a barnacle cluster, some shells, and a dead fan coral. New tank will just have a couple of lava rocks and some layered substrate.

The only things that give me pause are once there's nothing but substrate in my bowl and actually transferring all the little guys.

- If I just try to pour/scoop the water out and avoid the substrate, I'm worried about some shrimp getting caught in the bottom, and any snails not making it (some bury themselves in the substrate).

- Also worried about the churning of the substrate. It's about 3 years or so of accumulated shrimp waste down in that sand and rocks. Should I just pour the whole thing, substrate included? Is this an opportunity to avoid introducing all that waste, or can I assume a lot of beneficial bacteria in there?

- Anybody ever try those EcoBio beneficial bacteria stones in their Opae tanks? I picked one up but haven't decided if I want to use it yet.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Moving my 1 Gallon to a 5 Gallon

Post by Varanus »

Since you are giving the new tank time to cycle I don't think it's necessary to go to the trouble of moving all the old substrate in. Transferring some of the water, plus the rocks and such should be enough. You could always add some to help though. Likewise transferring only some of the water, at least at first, would help you not have to worry about getting shrimp caught on the bottom.

As for missing any old tank occupants in the move, you could keep the old tank set up and check it routinely to see if any snails or shrimp come out of hiding.
Munakgirl
Larva
Larva

Post by Munakgirl »

Agree with the last poster.

I would add some of the water and maybe a lil of the substrate or decor to help the cycling along quicker. Then when it's cycled move over all the decor that's left and some more water if desired. But leave it at least half full. Then just use a lil net to catch them to move them over.
(Making sure the temps and water parameters are the same and such -or maybe aclimate them)

Once you've caught everyone over. Just leave the old tank up for about a week and check it each day for snails that come up or anything and just put them over. Then when your sure everyone has made the move you can finish tearing down the old tank.
shrimpy4
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpy4 »

Thanks both, appreciate the input.

How about EcoBio rocks and/or Dyed coral? Anybody ever have issues with either of those? I'm getting some natural dyed coral with what's touted as aquarium safe epoxy based dye, but it seems a waste if it doesn't both leech beneficial trace elements and still act as a buffer or if there's a chance they'll kill my shrimp.