Preventing snails from taking over tank

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

sea15823
Egg
Egg

Preventing snails from taking over tank

Post by sea15823 »

Ok so I've now ordered Mustafa's macroalgae and snails. But when I started doing research on the types of snails I'd get I got a little nervous finding out they can reproduce very quickly. My tank is just 1 gallon so not a bunch of room for 1000 snails! Will not feeding the tank really keep population in check? Do a lot of these snails add heavy bioload?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Preventing snails from taking over tank

Post by Varanus »

Yup, limiting the feeding to a small amount every month or so will keep the snails in check. The shrimp seem to be able to out compete them for biofilm as well thanks to their comparatively high speed and mobility, the end result being that in a supershrimp tank these snails grow and reproduce much more slowly than in more heavily fed tanks and their bioload is not of any more consequence than that of the shrimp.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Preventing snails from taking over tank

Post by Mustafa »

Yeah...snails taking over a tank will never be an issue. If they do, you're overfeeding. And that's not going to be good for your shrimp either.