Questions about my new tank!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Cakelake
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Questions about my new tank!

Post by Cakelake »

So I'm starting a small tank based on mufasas instructions and I had a couple of questions. First of all, what wattage should the light bulb be which is used as the light source? Additionally I was curious if you really should never change the tank water as the instructions on the website say. If occasional water changes are important, how often should it be changed? Some sites online suggested once a week which seemed way to often in my mind.

KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Questions about my new tank!

Post by KenCotigirl »

No water changes.

Just enough to satisfy you. I use variable LED light.

Ken.

Nice to have you here. Good luck!
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

For most aquatic creatures water changes are a necessity, and many do best with weekly water changes, but supershrimp are something of an anomaly. I presume that they produce so little waste that the algae and bacteria can handle any toxins.

Thus the only water you should ever need to add (barring emergencies) is distilled water whenever the tank's water level gets low from evaporation (which if you have a top on the tank should not be often).
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yep..these aren't "normal" creatures. :-D So, no water changes. This not just just a "oh..they *can live* without water changes" type of suggestion but more of a "you *shouldn't* do any water changes because it's better" type of statement. Same logic applies to "no filter!". :) And article on this is long overdue though and I should write it finally instead of repeating myself a million times over years. :lol:

I know this is going to sound "bad" but I suggest not even bothering with other sites or forums when it comes to Supershrimp/Opae ula advice. The method here is by far the best and most reliable and has produced literally hundreds of thousands of captive bred shrimp over the years. That should be proof enough. :)