Strange algae formation

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Cakelake
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Strange algae formation

Post by Cakelake »

Hello all! I noticed this strange cloud of algae in the back of my tank today that wasn't there a couple of days ago. Just thought I'd check on here to make sure it's nothing to worry about, I've never seen something like this in a tank before.
IMG_6818.JPG
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Strange algae formation

Post by Stalker »

It's a cloud of protists.
Cakelake
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Cakelake »

Well yes I knew that. All species of algae are protists. I've just never seen a strange cloud of algae like this in a tank before and I couldn't find anything online about it. I'm assuming it formed however due to lack of water movement so I guess then that means no worries....hopefully...
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Stalker »

By protist I mean, motile not phototrophic ones... or maybe euglena. This is the first time I see that in a brackish tank, but in fresh water without filter it's common.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Sort of reminds me of blue green algae. Especially with the bubbles on the top.

Ken
Cakelake
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Cakelake »

It seems to have dispersed more in the water as it's hard to see now. I looked at a sample under a microscope, and it Looks kind of like volvox. My shrimp so far aren't bothered by it though so hopefully it's nothing bad.
IMG_6833.JPG
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Don't worry. Whatever type of algae it is, the shrimp will eat it. :)
wolfeinthefold
Egg
Egg

Post by wolfeinthefold »

From my experience, the algae cloud is perfectly normal. For me, it's a result of cleaning the algae from the glass. The algae then forms a cloud that reacts to the light by forming a column directly below it. The bowl pictured, is three gallons, with the rock and substrate displacing almost half a gallon.
Attachments
SavedImage_20170306_180314_09.jpg
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

Mustafa wrote:Don't worry. Whatever type of algae it is, the shrimp will eat it. :)
That true. That's very true. Hahaha
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

wolfeinthefold wrote:From my experience, the algae cloud is perfectly normal. For me, it's a result of cleaning the algae from the glass. The algae then forms a cloud that reacts to the light by forming a column directly below it. The bowl pictured, is three gallons, with the rock and substrate displacing almost half a gallon.
Wow...I don't think I've ever seen green algae do that. I've had brown algae/diatoms and bacterial blooms act that way though.