Tank is now populated

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SSpiffyShrimp
Egg
Egg

Tank is now populated

Post by SSpiffyShrimp »

This is the continuation of "Going to start my tank this weekend". viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5971

Six weeks after starting the tank, The critters are in their new forever home. They didn't go through the hiding phase that others have mentioned, as soon as they were released from the bag, they were calmly swimming around and eating. At any time, at least 10 are visible.
bag.jpg
planted1.jpg
planted2.jpg
Planted3.jpg
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Tank is now populated

Post by Ace »

You don't know just how much I want some of that white skeleton you have. It's really very interesting.
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

Ace wrote:You don't know just how much I want some of that white skeleton you have. It's really very interesting.
I agree--very cool. Where did you get it?
SSpiffyShrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by SSpiffyShrimp »

It's a sea sponge "skeleton". I picked it up at a dealer at the Hotel Tucson-City Center at the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show last month. I was looking for a nice fan coral to fill the open space, but the ones they had were too large. I saw this and fell in love with it.
Last edited by SSpiffyShrimp on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

Is there any chance you have the name of the dealer or maybe the receipt so that we can get some of that fabulousness? :D
SSpiffyShrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by SSpiffyShrimp »

I'll look.

Edit

Found it! https://www.tidelineusa.com Most of their stuff was big. Good luck, I didn't look at the site, but prices at the show we reasonable. This was <$20.
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

:smt038 Nice, thank you !
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Shame. The site is not for retail customers.

Kenp
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Nice tank! And yea, that sponge skeleton does look very interesting. Never seen one.
SSpiffyShrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by SSpiffyShrimp »

Update time

It's been a month and they've pretty much cleaned all the algae from the tank. Everybody is out grazing most of the day, but calmly. The only frantic activity has been when I've added water, and that only lasts a few minutes.

The macro algae is growing and the moss ball now floats full time.

I plan on getting some food pellets and 12 inch tweezers to place and remove the food today.
SSpiffyShrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by SSpiffyShrimp »

Took them about a minute to find the pellets. Here's a shot of the feeding frenzy (such as it was) and a closeup of a happy shrimp on the macro algae.
Feeding frenzy.jpg
Happy shrimp.jpg
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the updates! I'm pretty sure I've said it before here or elsewhere but I'll repeat it to make sure...you can just squeeze the mossball gently a few times and it will sink if that's what you want. :)