New tank here as well. Suggestions are welcomed :)

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: New tank here as well. Suggestions are welcomed :)

Post by Edwin »

Hi all. Would have loved to do updates here with photos and all but i just keep having problems with the dimensions of the photos and they refuse to be uploaded. They are doing pretty well I must say and the newcomers are so much redder than the pioneers. Amazing creatures to watch!

You can follow me on Facebook at Opae ohana :) would love to make friends with you. Also, I'm also on Instagram @opaeohana. You can follow me as I share a lot of photos and videos there!
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

Currently, my water surface is a bit cloudy. Basically there are two groups of shrimps: many of those who love to swim at the water surface and those who dwell at the bottom and scrape through the gravel and surfaces. Those that are at the surface seems to be doing the same thing as those at the bottom and will come down after a while. It's just surprising that so many of them enjoy the water surface. This happened particularly after I added some beneficial bacteria to the water. Does your shrimps do the same?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Edwin wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:30 am
*unfortunately, somehow some photos can't be uploaded, esp those above 4 mb. Is there some restrictions?
Thanks for bringing that up! The default attachment limit was 5MB. I just increased it to 6. Nobody should need more than that actually. It's usually best to just decreasing the size of the picture in a simple image editor (usually comes with your operating system) which will also decrease file size. Then there should be no problem with uploads. It seems like you're uploading some giant pictures there that are much bigger than most people's screens in their original versions (before the browser decreases its size). If file size is unlimited before long the disk quota on the server for this website would be filled.
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

Hey Mustafa! Thanks for the response and reply. I was uploading files of around 3 to 4 mb actually but its dimensions just not seem to fit according to the system and hence the upload failed. I am using my Samsung S7 Edge to take photos and some photos could be uploaded but some could not; I could not really figure out the difference between the files to cause an upload failure.

A big thank you for maintaining this forum to get the exchange of information going! :)
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

Week 3 in the new tank. They seem to be doing very well. Happily red and swimming about after feeding some spirulina for the first time. They wiped it clean in minutes!

I'm still having trouble uploading photos :( but really wanna share so many with you guys. Check out my Instagram account @ opaeohana or facebook account "Opae Ohana" for them :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hmmm...I'm not really sure what exactly the problem is. There is no limit for image dimensions, just size. If you want you can send me a screenshot of the error you're getting via private message. If I can't diagnose the problem from there, then you can send me one of the images you can't upload (via Email which I can provide over private message) so I can take a look. Nobody else seems to have this problem.
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

@ Mustafa, I have emailed you. Thank you!

Looking forward to share more photos with all of you
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

One lucky file managed to be uploaded. Yay!
Attachments
20170420_212705.jpg
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

Just curious, is there any lighting limitation to our opae ula tank? Is it 'harmful' if there's too much light or that the light is too strong?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Edwin wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:44 pm Just curious, is there any lighting limitation to our opae ula tank? Is it 'harmful' if there's too much light or that the light is too strong?
No usually...except if you suddenly expose the macroalgae or mossballs to much stronger light they may suffer (and possibly die..at least partially).
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

Almost 1 month in the tank. Shrimps are red healthy and happy :) only managed to attach these 3 photos amongst many that I took. Somehow seeing far less moulting going on; hopefully is a case where they are eaten faster than I could have seen them
Attachments
20170420_212705.jpg
20170429_071900.jpg
This is the new lighting I have gotten for the tank. 7 levels of brightness. Hoping to spark some algae growth
This is the new lighting I have gotten for the tank. 7 levels of brightness. Hoping to spark some algae growth
Arquisto
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Arquisto »

Looks like your moss balls are faring pretty well too!
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

I must have not been staring at my tank long enough but I'm spotting lesser moulting now despite having about 40 shrimps in there. Surely I should have caught some moults with this many, even before they have gobbled the moults up. Is this because they have fully acclimated and adapted to the salinity and new environment and hence they are moulting far less? Or is there some other reasons? How often do they moult naturally?
Arquisto
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Arquisto »

You and I are having the same issue; not catching them in the I actually of molting. I've only seen a molted skin once but I know they have to be molting 'cause they are clearly bigger than they were when I first got them.

Since you and I both have OHKO/dragon stone maybe our rockscape is providing them with lots of places to hide while molting? I can only imagine in nature you wouldn't want to expose yourself when you are that vulnerable.

I'm hoping for some berried ones soon but I got to be patient.
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

Hey ohko stone buddy! Yeah. I can't really keep track with their sizes. Hahaha. Their growth doesn't look significant to my eyes :p Still patiently waiting for good news from my opae too! At least they seem to be doing well. Red and active.