Update of my new Tank, Someone help?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

shutupmorty
Egg
Egg

Update of my new Tank, Someone help?

Post by shutupmorty »

So months ago i inquired about starting a tank.

I let the tank water sit around for a couple months because I am hella paranoid. Introduced 2 shrimps to the new tank 2 weeks back and marimo plant. While I do know that marimo plant isn't for brackish water, they seem to be doing fine. No spike in nitrite or ammonia.

So my real qn is, how do I know if they are really doing well or suffering and unable to die because they are hardy? they seem to swim around like normal..And what will make them breed?

Tips appreciated!
Attachments
20171017_235853.jpg
20171017_235834.jpg
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Update of my new Tank, Someone help?

Post by MrsT »

Wow, you've got a big tank. 2 is too little, I would put 10 opae in there because chances you will have both sexes.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

If they're acting normal and have everything they need (i.e. the tank's top is not airtight, there is algae/biofilm and a light to feed said biofilm) then chances are they're fine. But if you want breeding it'd be better to have a larger group since for all you know you have two males or two females in there.
Mrhandsome
Egg
Egg

Post by Mrhandsome »

shutupmorty wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:06 am So months ago i inquired about starting a tank.

I let the tank water sit around for a couple months because I am hella paranoid. Introduced 2 shrimps to the new tank 2 weeks back and marimo plant. While I do know that marimo plant isn't for brackish water, they seem to be doing fine. No spike in nitrite or ammonia.

So my real qn is, how do I know if they are really doing well or suffering and unable to die because they are hardy? they seem to swim around like normal..And what will make them breed?
Tips:
1) create hiding places for them
2) leave them alone and only top off evaporated water
3) feed them a tiny piece of algae wafer every 2 weeks if you do not have any green algae growing in your tank (removed any uneaten algae wafer after 6 hours)
4) wait

Just my 2 cents worth of advise... cheers!