YELLOW Supershrimp!!!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

YELLOW Supershrimp!!!

Post by Mustafa »

Ladies and Gentlemen, you are about to become witness to history in the making in the Supershrimp hobby! :) :-D Here is the first picture *ever* (that I know of, definitely the first yellow one) Supershrimp (Opae ula) color mutation in captivity:

I discovered this shrimp and two others in one of my tanks just about 5 days ago. This one is a female (and here you can clearly see the "dark spot", which is eggs in the ovaries), and I believe that I have two males. If I can ever find them again among the 1000+ shrimp in the same tank, I will set up a new tank and try to breed this color variety (which is a long term project with Supershrimp). I'm pretty excited about this. Imagine a tank full of yellow Supershrimp right next to a tank with red Supershrimp! Or a mixed tank, yellow and red intermingling! This is great! Who knows what color varieties I will discover in the future if I actually take a closer look at every single tank I have. I, for one, would love to see some blue Supershrimp in the future. :D

This is, however, not the first mutation I have discovered in my tanks. I discovered completely white (see-through white..similar to male Snowball shrimp) Supershrimp with bright green eggs years ago already, and I believe I still have some swimming around in my tanks (if I can find them). I may have a picture somewhere, too, I'll have to dig around. There are also some pink shrimp swimming around in some of my tanks...not just pale red, literally *pink*. I never bothered breeding those other mutations, but now that I discovered the yellow mutation, I may just go ahead and set up a tank for the white mutation (and maybe the pink one), too. Let's see what happens....
eightoeight
Egg
Egg

Re: YELLOW Supershrimp!!!

Post by eightoeight »

Very exciting indeed. It's been very interesting to see all the other color variations of the other shrimp types, good to see opae ula with different variations as well!
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Great news on the yellow Opae. I am interested in the white ones. That would be worth getting a new tank. Maybe two tanks when the yellows are available. Pink? Not sure I would want a tank of those. Not distinct enough at least from a distance. Blue! Stop the presses. You could retire on them.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

You *really* love white, huh? Ok, just to make you happy I dug out a really old picture (from 2007) and I'll post it in its own thread. :) I agree on the pink, although this pink looked quite distinct (hence, that's why I noticed the shrimp). I'll see if I can find the pink ones and take some pics. Blue would, of course, be the holy grail, but that's like hitting the lottery. Although, with more than 70,000 Supershrimp swimming around in my tanks, my odds of getting various mutations are a lot better than just having a handful of them. Having said that, I think I have already hit the lottery (not moneywise, but oddswise) with the yellow mutation, actually. As I said, I am really excited about this. I just managed to find two other yellow ones. These guys have a more intense yellow, almost going into orange. And it seems like they could be male instead of just immature females (hard to tell with these shrimp). Let's just hope that this yellow mutation is just simple recessive, so that yellow x yellow = yellow, instead of some more complicated mutation.

Anyway, here is animal 1:

And here is animal 2:

BostonJill
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by BostonJill »

Love it!!!! Wow! A blue would be really eye catching. That would definitely be worth starting a new tank for. Have you ever in your many years of breeding the Super Shrimp seen a black one?
LeShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by LeShrimp »

Wow this is even cooler than the opaque one!
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Ok maybe I need to revise my call on the whites. The yellow orange need their own tank. A couple dozen will be just fine.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

COTIGIRL wrote: The yellow orange need their own tank. A couple dozen will be just fine.
I knew you would come around. :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

BostonJill wrote: Have you ever in your many years of breeding the Super Shrimp seen a black one?
Never seen a black one. That would be a great mutation, too. I'll keep an eye out for sure.
shrimpy4
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpy4 »

Very cool! The white Opae in the other thread is even more incredible looking. Seems to be a proper albino considering the pink eyes.

Very interesting to hear that the paler shrimp have had green eggs well. I think one of the shrimp in the last batch you sent me may have eggs, as there appear to be at least 2 or 3 spheres in the translucent carapace right behind the head. It's above the intestinal track and right behind the organs, so I don't think it's just waste.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

shrimpy4 wrote: Seems to be a proper albino considering the pink eyes.
--Not sure if they are albinos. In real life their eyes aren't all that pink/red. The flash may have something to do with the reddish eyes in pictures.
I think one of the shrimp in the last batch you sent me may have eggs, as there appear to be at least 2 or 3 spheres in the translucent carapace right behind the head. It's above the intestinal track and right behind the organs, so I don't think it's just waste.
--That's quite possible. :)
animal1998
Egg
Egg

Post by animal1998 »

Get a pic of the PINKS PLEASE!!!! That sounds really cool.

Set up a tank with yellow and pink. Then you get the "lemonade" feel to it. Totally base it around that.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I'll see what I can do. :)
MelWong
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by MelWong »

One of my Opae is starting to color up, and it's turning not red, but... yellow.

Mustafa, I think you might have given me a discounted yellow shrimp. (:
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Need a picture!
Ken