YELLOW Supershrimp!!!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: YELLOW Supershrimp!!!

Post by Mustafa »

MelWong wrote:One of my Opae is starting to color up, and it's turning not red, but... yellow.

Mustafa, I think you might have given me a discounted yellow shrimp. (:
That's entirely possible. Since most of the shrimp turn pale when I start catching them, it's possible that I catch yellow or white shrimp (or whatever other color variation), too, without even realizing it. Luck of the draw I guess! "ShrimpGuy" got a white shrimp from me apparently (he posted a picture of it in another thread).
MelWong
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by MelWong »

Mustafa wrote:
MelWong wrote:One of my Opae is starting to color up, and it's turning not red, but... yellow.

Mustafa, I think you might have given me a discounted yellow shrimp. (:
That's entirely possible. Since most of the shrimp turn pale when I start catching them, it's possible that I catch yellow or white shrimp (or whatever other color variation), too, without even realizing it. Luck of the draw I guess! "ShrimpGuy" got a white shrimp from me apparently (he posted a picture of it in another thread).
On closer observation, the yellow shrimp is something even more interesting - it's a shrimp that goes from yellow to orange when fully colored. It goes back to white when startled (as I noticed when I topped up the tank water with DI water) but then goes back through the yellow-orange spectrum.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hmmm...too bad actually. The yellow variety is really nice when fully colored out (as you can see in the pictures). So, your shrimp is probably one of those individuals that goes through all shades of red(dish), which includes orangish to almost yellowish (when really pale). The real yellow Supershrimp gets *more* yellow/orange the more comfortable it feels.
Yorumi
Egg
Egg

Post by Yorumi »

I have set up my new tank for about a month now. When I got my shrimps, they were either transparent, orange or red. However.... This morning one of them seems rather yellow to me. Im not sure if its genetic or if there is something wrong with it. It seems active though. Is this actually normal?? :?
20170909_122752.jpg
20170909_121900.jpg
20170909_121812.jpg
20170909_120513.jpg
20170909_121717.jpg
20170909_121712.jpg
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

If its behaving normally then chances are its fine.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Do you still see a yellow shrimp? Many shrimp can appear yellow or orange and then turn red or pale...only "real" yellow/orange shrimp remain yellow/orange all the time and never turn red.