WHITE Supershrimp!!!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: WHITE Supershrimp!!!

Post by Mustafa »

Harry wrote:I would think that shrimp in the wild would exhibit these variations readily, as they have a huge breeding population. Do you know of any such "finds" or occurrences in the wild?
Of course mutations happen much more frequently in the wild, given the larger number of animals. However, for some reason red seems to be somehow advantageous in anchialine habitats as a lot of animals, even completely unrelated species of shrimp (and even amphipods), are red; and not just on Hawaii, but in other parts of the world that have anchialine habitats. So, whatever other color mutation occurs seems to die out eventually.

I have known Scott Santos from Auburn University for many years now and during one of our conversations (can't really remember the specific time and/or conversation) he did mention seeing mutations in the wild and/or in his lab population. I don't think he mentioned specific mutations, though.
SillyDaddy
Larva
Larva

Post by SillyDaddy »

I would pay a few extra dollars for these. Of course I would have to completely redesign my tank. As it is now, It is designed with lighter colors and corals to make the shrimp stand out. I could finally have my darker tank with My dark background that I have always wanted.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I really should start setting up separate mutations for these shrimp. I *still* have not gotten around to doing that! In any case, I'm glad you're interested. They are great looking shrimp..AND, although still rare, the white variety occurs much more commonly than the yellow ones in my tanks.
SillyDaddy
Larva
Larva

Post by SillyDaddy »

Have you ever gotten around to a separate Mutations tank? The X-men and I would like to know... :D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Still not...I really, really feel bad talking about it and not actually doing it.... :( The reminders help though...
PixieShrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by PixieShrimp »

Wow this was my dream a few years ago! I'm so happy to see you are picking out your white shrimp and making a new colony! How's it going by the way? I would LOVE some white Opae Ula shrimp! :D
nancy
Egg
Egg

Post by nancy »

Hello Mustafa & All,
Wow this is amazing. Mustafa, I think you could corner the market on these new shrimp. I have a question. When you locate one of these in a tank how the heck do you get it out safely. They are so small and you must have lots and lots of other shrimp in the tank you don't want to catch. How do you manage to just get the shrimp you want out of the tank?
Nancy
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

PixieShrimp wrote:Wow this was my dream a few years ago! I'm so happy to see you are picking out your white shrimp and making a new colony! How's it going by the way? I would LOVE some white Opae Ula shrimp! :D

Umm...had to deal with "real life" more than the tanks recently, so unfortunately I have not started a colony yet...still. And I won't make any more promises (and look like an idiot :-D ) until *after* I have actually started a white Supershrimp colony. :D On the bright side...I see more and more of them in all kinds of tanks...so at least they seem pretty plentiful.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

nancy wrote:Hello Mustafa & All,
Wow this is amazing. Mustafa, I think you could corner the market on these new shrimp. I have a question. When you locate one of these in a tank how the heck do you get it out safely. They are so small and you must have lots and lots of other shrimp in the tank you don't want to catch. How do you manage to just get the shrimp you want out of the tank?
Nancy
Hi Nancy,

You get them out *very* carefully. These guys are escape artists, but I have my techniques. After all, every single shrimp I have ever sold was caught targeted and caught individually as opposed to randomly swinging a net through the tank. :-D I'm pretty practiced.
Rockhopper
Egg
Egg

Post by Rockhopper »

Excuse me for reviving a old topic but I'm intrigued about the different strains of opae'ula. Hope it doesn't surface old anxiety :wink: Did you ever find time to set up a selective breeding tank?

I've also seen people mention non-standard colors in random threds. Yellow/orange, banded colorations, etc. Since these shrimp are growing up with the same conditions, it is reasonable to think the different color morphs are genetic not environmental. I think there is a lot of potential here! :D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Rockhopper wrote:Excuse me for reviving a old topic but I'm intrigued about the different strains of opae'ula. Hope it doesn't surface old anxiety :wink: Did you ever find time to set up a selective breeding tank?
--Ah, no problem at all! And no anxiety! :) I have actually set up a separate breeding tank for the orange/yellow ones a few months ago. I picked out a bunch that were orange and then picked the three most orange shrimp and put them in a container together. As luck would have it they appear to be 2 females and one male. I'm hoping to get larvae in the next few months. I'll post pictures of them soon in their own thread.

I haven't made the same effort with the white ones yet...but hopefully I'll find enough of them and also give them their own tank.
SkrimpScampi
Egg
Egg

Post by SkrimpScampi »

Hello! I know I'm like super late to the party but do you still have a colony of these white shrimp? I would love to buy some of them :smt049 I would probably only need four. Two males and two females :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I still haven't found any truly white shrimp with the bluish eggs yet. That picture is from about 10 years ago. I'll keep looking.
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

Mustafa wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:48 pm I still haven't found any truly white shrimp with the bluish eggs yet. That picture is from about 10 years ago. I'll keep looking.
Have you had any success with specified breeding? :lol:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It's hard to breed them if I can't find them. :-D But they're in there somewhere I'm sure.