Sick shrimp?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

CanadianShrimp
Egg
Egg

Sick shrimp?

Post by CanadianShrimp »

I've had my opae ula for almost 2 years now, I've had 4 berried shrimps over that time. I recently moved and placed my latest berried shrimp in a separate vase so it would be easier to see the babies (using the same water and substrate, I had done this the last time without any problem). About a month ago, she started losing her eggs. Now none are left and what looks like grey algae started growing under her (can somewhat clearly be seen in the 3rd picture). At first she was still active but now she mostly sits at the bottom, rarely moving. Has this happened to anyone in the past? Is there any way to cure it or any chance it will just go away? I'm afraid of putting her back with the others in case this is some sort of contagious disease or something.

Sorry for the bad picture quality, this is the best I was able to get. I might try to get better ones later.
I1.png
I1.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 867 times
I2.png
I2.png (931.43 KiB) Viewed 867 times
I3.png
I3.png (706.95 KiB) Viewed 867 times
CanadianShrimp
Egg
Egg

Re: Sick shrimp?

Post by CanadianShrimp »

I was able to take some better pictures. Does any one have on idea on what this is and a possible way to cure it? I thought of possibly increasing or decreasing the salinity, but not sure if that would help.
I4.png
I4.png (310.11 KiB) Viewed 834 times
I5.png
I5.png (130.04 KiB) Viewed 834 times
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Sick shrimp?

Post by KenCotigirl »

Wow that is ugly. No idea how to help you. I hope mustafa chimes in. First thought, remove the sick shrimp.

Ken