berried alpha

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

berried alpha

Post by Harry »

I have a ten gallon tank that I started in May of this year. The tank is doing just fine with about 175 Opae and 7 alphas (Metabetaeus Lohena). I rarely see the alphas and I believe they live mostly within the rock caves I have built. And I have never seen a berried shrimp in the two years I have been keeping Opae in various containers. But I have had offspring and larvae.

Today an alpha came out and she is heavily buried. They move fast and I wish I had a better picture. In the posted photo, the large lobster claws do not show up. The alphas are larger than the Opae and seem more of an orange color than red. I'll try for a better photo.
Attachments
berried.jpg
berried.jpg (98.58 KiB) Viewed 2000 times
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: berried alpha

Post by JoanToBa »

Good luck then!
By the way, how is your tank doing after all theese years?
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Harry »

The tank is still going strong - seems to thrive on neglect. I can't tell how many Alphas are there, but they are there. And plenty of opae as well. I never see any berried opae or larva. But they must be there because I do spot some small young shrimp. And I've added some small hermit crabs, so the tank requires a weekly feeding - just a small amount.

All in all, the tank does very well with no heater and no filter. Lots of good tips on this forum that got me started, years ago.
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoanToBa »

Wow, really amazing!
I’m cycling my first tank so reading posts like yours really makes me happy :mrgreen:
Thanks for replying

PS: any pics?