Thai Micro Crab

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Thai Micro Crab

Post by Harry »

The crab in the picture is a freshwater Micro Crab from Thailand. The body is about 3/8" in diameter and the span across claws is about 3/4". I just got them and they're in a one-gallon freshwater tank with cherry shrimp and an assortment of snails. The one you see is on a Marimo ball. I've also introduced a Marimo ball to my brackish Opae tank, as I understand they do well in brackish water.

I'm wondering if anyone has acclimated Thai Micro Crabs to brackish water - wondering if that can be done. Or could there be a brackish species of this crab? I have the dwarf hermits in my Opae tanks, but these crabs are totally cool and would love to have them in my Opae tank.
Attachments
IMG_0876.JPG
IMG_0876.JPG (165.14 KiB) Viewed 2591 times
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Thai Micro Crab

Post by JoanToBa »

Well, this crab is quite big for that tank size. But hey, why not?
I recommend you slowly adapting marimo to brackish, they do well in low-end brackish but if you wanna have one in about 1.010-1.014 SG, then slowly change its water to brackish.

Hope that helps!
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Thai Micro Crab

Post by Varanus »

Its my impression most fully freshwater creatures can't adapt to brackish/saltwater long term. I'd be surprised if the thai micro crab can, since it seems pretty specialized.