Tourmaline Mineral Balls

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

luyisamor
Egg
Egg

Tourmaline Mineral Balls

Post by luyisamor »

Hi all,

I happen to come arrow this Tourmaline Mineral Balls. I was wondering if there is any issue if I put this into my ula opae tank.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Tourmaline Mineral Balls

Post by KenCotigirl »

They are used in or for freshwater shrimp. Do not believe they are necessary for opae ula. They may look interesting. Would say a waste of money.

Ken
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Stalker »

I think its a scam, even for freshwater shrimps.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I've personally never used any.
luyisamor
Egg
Egg

Post by luyisamor »

thank thanks.

however, I had already ordered a few balls. If it doesn't harm or affect the shrimps, I guess I shall leave it as a deco in the tank.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Just make sure to take them out if you do have mysterious shrimp deaths and cyanobacteria growth. My philosophy is to not add any unneeded things to a tank. They can pose unknown risks and you don't want to gamble...unless you're a scientist and like experimenting. :-D
luyisamor
Egg
Egg

Post by luyisamor »

haha.. thanks Mustafa. I will put it in my second tank and observe first.

if nothing happen, I will drop it into my main tank.

thanks.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Carolina has some I believe in her tanks. I like their look. The product is not regulated and could cause more harm than good. Buy from a reliable source, don't buy at a discount and buy from the Japanese and made in Japan. Black marbles would look as nice.

Ken
Carolina
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Carolina »

KenCotigirl wrote:Carolina has some I believe in her tanks. I like their look. The product is not regulated and could cause more harm than good. Buy from a reliable source, don't buy at a discount and buy from the Japanese and made in Japan. Black marbles would look as nice.

Ken
Mine are japanese..... They are not tourmaline - they are called MK-Breed Life Balls.
Here is the description
"Product Specialty:
This product reduces the ammonia in water, prevents growth of blue-green algae (cyanobacteria), and effectively maintains a stable PH aquarium environment.
Contains more than 30 different minerals; it can effectively improve the mineral/trace element deficiency in aquatic animals/plants and promotes aquatic animals to be more active. The highly porous surface traps harmful substances in water to improve the general water quality."
luyisamor
Egg
Egg

Post by luyisamor »

thanks Carolina. I would like to get some of that too.. :-D

can I know where did you get it from ?

The mineral ball that I ordered are from Taiwan. Here is the description.

The minerals will be released slowly. When the nutrients of the soil are losing or GH is low, Tourmaline Mineral Balls can be used to improve it. Since the process is slow and continuous, so shrimps are able to adapt to it. Moreover, it contains positive and negative poles which can deionize the water and make better water quality.

Component

Tourmaline Mineral Balls consist a lot of essential minerals including magnesium, aluminum, iron, boron......and so on.

The benefit it brings to shrimps:

1. Give better water quality by deionizing water
2. Provide essential minerals for growth
3. Improve molting failure
4. Enhance survival rate of baby shrimps
5. Brighten body color
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

I keep Koi as a hobby and the pond is a major landscape feature in my back yard. Like any hobby; golf, bowling or shrimp as examples, there are numerous unnecessary accessories for sale. Montmorillonite / Bentonite Clay for Koi is one of them. Just like the T. balls they claim to add missing minerals, help clear the water and make the koi's red redder and black blacker. When spending thousands of dollars on a pond and hundreds on koi what is another $30 for clay that will work miracles. So yes I use the clay. Will I buy another box when this one is done maybe not. The breeder where I purchase my Koi does not sell the clay. His reasoning is he only sells what he feels is necessary. Mustafa does not sell the balls. Enough said. (I just wish I would listen to my own advice.)

Ken
Carolina
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Carolina »

KenCotigirl wrote:(I just wish I would listen to my own advice.)

Ken
:smt005 :smt005 Isn't that the norm? :lol:
Carolina
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Carolina »

luyisamor wrote:thanks Carolina. I would like to get some of that too.. :-D

can I know where did you get it from ?

The mineral ball that I ordered are from Taiwan. Here is the description.

The minerals will be released slowly. When the nutrients of the soil are losing or GH is low, Tourmaline Mineral Balls can be used to improve it. Since the process is slow and continuous, so shrimps are able to adapt to it. Moreover, it contains positive and negative poles which can deionize the water and make better water quality.

Component

Tourmaline Mineral Balls consist a lot of essential minerals including magnesium, aluminum, iron, boron......and so on.

The benefit it brings to shrimps:

1. Give better water quality by deionizing water
2. Provide essential minerals for growth
3. Improve molting failure
4. Enhance survival rate of baby shrimps
5. Brighten body color
I believe it's against the rules to post product sources like this, so I won't... I got them at the advice of another experienced opae ula (and several other shrimp) breeder..... So, if you want to get them, Google the name, and you will find them. I believe when using distilled water minerals are a necessity, so I do have corals and the balls in one tank, and the balls and 1/2 cuttlebone in another. But that's my opinion.... As for the miraculous claims...... I can't vouch for them - I have a tank that's full of cyanobacteria right now..... so............... ???
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Ok, I read up some more on the tourmaline claims. Looks like total nonsense to me...right up there with fixing broken auras, "energy" healing and homeopathy (the original type where you dilute a substance until not even a molecule of it is left in the solution). In other words...pseudoscience...quackery. There is absolutely no scientific or other credible evidence that it does anything at all.
luyisamor
Egg
Egg

Post by luyisamor »

so sorry. I will not break the rule again. :oops:

Mustafa... look like I had wasted some money on a useless item.