MiniShrimps

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: MiniShrimps

Post by minishrimps »

at least 5 of my larvae made it through to shrimplet stage... :D those little guys are hard to see!
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

and another berried female or two... :D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Awesome! :smt026 Chances are that all of the larvae made it but you only see 5 at a time. They're really good at staying hidden for a while. And more are apparently on the way judging by your berried females. Great! :D
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

I haven't seen any of those shrimplets since... However i spotted a third berried female with the other two :D But for the past three days i have one shrimp who has been freaking out, and appears to have molted only it's front six appendages and is now kind of stuck halfway between molting... Every time i think he's dead i go to suck him out and he freaks out and "pops" around for a bit then settles down, sometimes upright sometimes belly up... I sure hope he makes it! :?
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

my poor little shrimp, he has been struggling for five or six days now half stuck in his molt, he is still alive though and each day it seems to be slowly shedding a little bit more. His whole head is out of the molt but all his appendages are still stuck. I tried to use a bamboo skewer to separate the shed from his body but it didn't seem helpful and i didn't want to stress him out more. I hope the poor little guy gets through this one! :cry:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yeah, don't worry about the larvae/juvies...they're hiding. :) As for the shrimp with the molting problems, there's really nothing you can do. He/she may just make it to the next molt and be ok, or not make it. But you trying to help isn't going to make a difference. It may actually stress the shrimp out more so that he/she doesn't have enough energy to go through the next molt.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

I think my suffering shrimp pulled through... I never saw him dead but now there are only healthy shrimps in my tank. And currently, i have about 40 larvae floating around! Can you say reporduction? :D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Congratulations! If you can manage to take a picture of the floating larvae we'd be happy to look at it. :)
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

IMG_20170721_142509.jpg
IMG_20170721_142508.jpg
The Behemoth surfaces! :shock:
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

A year and half ago I bought 10 shrimp....

I was trying to count up shrimp last night and i couldn't keep track. I have well over sixty shrimp at this point with at least three more berried females in my tank with quite a few larvae floating around too. I have also used some of my shrimp babies to help friends start colonies here in Vermont, Illinois, New York and New Hampshire. :D
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

That snail is so big! :o
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

My shrimp tank population is exploding right now! I have over seventy shrimp and tons of larvae floating around. It might be time to start another tank! :D
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Photo update of my shrimp tank!
IMG_20170904_103415.jpg
IMG_20170904_103422.jpg
IMG_20170904_103439.jpg
IMG_20170904_103410.jpg
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the pictures! It's always exciting to see reproduction as it is a sign of a well established tank with happy shrimp. :)
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

So i tried to count yesterday... I'm well over 150 shrimp in my 2.5 gallon tank. :smt109