First Tank

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

skittymars
Egg
Egg

Re: First Tank

Post by skittymars »

Been awhile since my last update. My shrimps have been having babies since late spring and based on my count for each cycle of new borns that I can visually see I think my original 75 shrimp population has at least doubled. I still see 3 berried females that haven't released their babies yet. My snail population has exploded as well. I think I have over 100 snails now, a lot of them are very small. I have not put any food into the tank since I got the shrimps 10 months ago. They have been feeding off of the algae and bacteria that was very abundant in my tank. Although my tank has cleared up quite a bit since then. A lot of the surface algae are gone from the bottom bottom of the tank now and all of the tank walls are kept clean by all of the trumpet snails and my 3 nerites (1x Zebra, 1x Tiger, 1xHorned). I don't have to scrape the sides of the glass anymore to keep it clean. I probably still have quite a bit of algae left growing though compared to some of the other tanks that I've seen on this community.

My macro algae continues to be very pale looking. I don't think it's a lack of nutrient in the water, because it has been growing. Is my LED light too bright or do I not have enough light? How do I get it to be green as the day I got it from Mustafa?
Attachments
opae.jpg
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoanToBa »

Sorry for the late reply.
So yes, your chaeto is probably having too much light, it can even kill it.
If I was you, I would try one of these:

1.Change the light settings to a lower power mode.
2.Put the light further away from the tank.
3.Put the chaeto somewhere shadier.

Hope it helps!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Also, it looks like your macroalgae has been taken over and outcompeted by hair/string algae. If you eliminate that from your tank over time your macroalgae should make a comeback.