Ecosphere Empathy

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Ecosphere Empathy

Post by minishrimps »

Sasquatch wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:21 am Bummer. I thought for sure those dark round spots were eggs. Do eggs develop before they are fertilized or only after?

Guess they don't need a new tank now :wink: kidding... I will start cycling a new one anyway... Their current tank is on the small side. Plus I want to change the substrate color to black.

Will the coral sea fan and few small shells that came with the ecosphere be enough for a larger tank (say 2 gallons) or will I need to add more shells or aragonite sand?
Usually, eggs develop, then they are fertilized. I am not sure if the eggs produced by the shrimp are fertilized internally or after they are released from the females body, if that is what you meant. As far as I know, most aquatic egg layers release eggs as they are being fertilized, but there are always exceptions to natures reproductive "procedures".

I recently witnessed a shrimp chasing around another shrimp and wondered if he was trying to 'fertilize" the other, neither had exposed eggs. All of my berried shrimp hide and only come forth when the light is off, i only catch small glimpses of them after they are berried when I get out the flashlight and peak in the cave at them...

as far as more substrate goes, in a 2.5 gallon tank you'll want about 1/2 of an inch to 1 inch of substrate, you'll want a little more depth if you plan to have snails in there with them...
Sasquatch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Sasquatch »

Sorry I should have clarified - I meant to ask if I need more aragonite sand or crushed coral or similar to buffer the water in a larger tank, or do you think the few shells and coral sea fan that came with the ecosphere would be enough?

I plan on adding a half inch of black sand to the new tank as the substrate along with a lava rock and some LEGOs to provide surface area for bacteria.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Those *are* eggs, but they in the shrimps "ovary" developing (as Varanus already said). It's hard to say when the shrimp will actually start carrying those eggs. Sometimes it can take months. As for crushed coral...I would loosely and thinly sprinkle it over the substrate. Not sure how much came with your ecosphere so it's hard to say if it's enough. You really don't need super much. I use about a handful of crushed coral for 20 gallons in some of my breeder tanks.
Sasquatch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Sasquatch »

Just picked up a new gallon tank, distilled water, and black sand!

Now that I think about it is cycling the new tank for weeks really necessary since I will be transferring the lava rock, white pebbles, hair algae, water, and sea fan into the new tank? Everything in their current tank besides the blue gravel will be used. Why make them wait to enjoy their new crib right? Or am I rushing things...
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Yeah if you're transferring everything then cycling again would seem unnecessary, but you may want to wait a day or two to see that everything settles properly in the tank.

Personally until I started my supershrimp tank I hadn't actually cycled a tank in years as any new freshwater tank I started I simply used water and filter media from an existing tank for.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

I believe to err on the side of caution . Rushing may cause a problem. If there is not an emergency then wait a few weeks. Remember while our shrimp are very tolerant of adverse conditions they are still shrimp. And shrimp are sensitive to change. My two cents.

KenP
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

I think you should wait to add them until you see algae growing in the tank.
I know it's hard to wait, but I think it's for the best! :)
Sasquatch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Sasquatch »

New 1 Gallon
New 1 Gallon
I threw caution to the wind and moved all 10 shrimp to their new home :shock:

Also added a single food pellet

24 hours later they are still kicking!
Sasquatch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Sasquatch »

New 1 Gallon
New 1 Gallon
2 days in the new tank and all 10 shrimp are still alive! They are not as active as they were in the previous tank, but I figure they are still acclimating to the new environment.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Just don't feed any more food until *after* the algae have appeared and have been eaten up mostly by the shrimp and possibly snails (if you have them). They don't need it right now and it can potentially just cause all kinds of problems.
Sasquatch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Sasquatch »

Mustafa wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:24 am Just don't feed any more food until *after* the algae have appeared and have been eaten up mostly by the shrimp and possibly snails (if you have them). They don't need it right now and it can potentially just cause all kinds of problems.
Noted. I don't plan on messing with them for a while now. These shrimp have been through a lot over the last few months and they deserve some R&R (and I don't mean whiskey).

I do not have any snails.

Just counted... Still 10! I know all opae ula are tough, but I feel like I got a batch of really hardcore navy seal minded shrimpers :twisted: they can take on anything.
Sasquatch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Sasquatch »

Queen of the shrimps watches over her flock!
Queen of the shrimps watches over her flock!
Shrimp have been enjoying the new tank. They have adopted a new swimming technique I never saw in the smaller tanks where they glide up and down as they move like how I imagine a dragon would.

You can only see 7 in the picture, but all 10 are still there! Also just saw a molt. Really hoping the females will drop their eggs soon. I know I need to be patient and less is more, so I have given them no food since the move.
Sasquatch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Sasquatch »

Brown Algae
Brown Algae
After a month in the new tank we are finally seeing some brown algae! Kinda hard to see but its there 8)

Comparison
Comparison
A look back at their first home. The shrimp wonder how they ever lived in such a small tank.

Been a month since any food pellets. With the recent appearance of algae it seems like this tank has survived the worst. Smooth sailing from here!

I heard people name their shrimp tanks... Is that true?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Sasquatch wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:22 pm IMG_20170419_183052.jpg
After a month in the new tank we are finally seeing some brown algae! Kinda hard to see but its there 8)
--That's a great sign! Thanks for the updates! :)

IMG_20170419_161329.jpg
A look back at their first home. The shrimp wonder how they ever lived in such a small tank.
--Shrimp aren't known to be great at philosophizing, but *maybe*! :-D They sure appreciate the additional space and better water.
Been a month since any food pellets. With the recent appearance of algae it seems like this tank has survived the worst. Smooth sailing from here!
--Yep. Just don't feed anything for a while. Resist until the algae load decreases. Right now algae growth is increasing and will do so for a while.
I heard people name their shrimp tanks... Is that true?
One member here calls his tank "Nanosphere 9" and another one I can remember had a shrimp called "Fred". :) But in general most people just seem to not be able to tell their shrimp apart so it's hard to name them. But sure, why not...:)
Sasquatch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Sasquatch »

Shrimp appear well fed
Shrimp appear well fed
Just an update - no dropped eggs yet, but all original shrimp are still alive. Since the last update I have only fed one or two pellets of food and completed one 50% water change. Shrimp seem to be more active in summer temperatures. Hope to see berried females soon!