New Tank Questions: Advice welcomed!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: New Tank Questions: Advice welcomed!

Post by JennyPenny »

Cubscruff wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:14 pm It's been a little over a month and I'm finally seeing algae growth, however, it's (apparently) the only thing I can grow in all of my fish tanks which is hair algae.

-Anyone have any advice for growing any other type of algae?
-Will the hair algae be a danger to my shrimp when I receive them?

Good news is my parameters haven't changed and I'm still at 1.010 salinity and 8.0 pH (will check on ammonia and nitrite/nitrate levels tomorrow)
Just wait. Other algaes will grow. It is not unusual for tanks to take more than a month to grow and and mature. In the meantime, I recommended removing the hair algae. Shrimp can become tangled in the algae. I have been having problems with hair algae in my tank, and have observed larvae and shrimp getting stuck in it. If you are interested, I recently added a video on YouTube showing a stuck shrimp, and how I remove the algae from my tank.
Cubscruff
Egg
Egg

Post by Cubscruff »

So it's been 3 months since my last update and I wanted to check with the community, which has helped me every step of the way, to see if my tank is ready for some Super Shrimp!! I finally have algae growing but I'm no algae expert and wanted to see if this is ok for the shrimp.

-Is this good algae?
-Healthy looking?
-pH was just at 8.2
-Salinity somehow creeped up and is now at 1.013/15% -- Too high now?

Not pictured is the prolific Malaysian trumpet snails I have going on in there. I noticed a boom of algae after removing my 3 marimo balls (I had a grow light that was running near 24/7 and the marimo balls were getting too much sun and beginning to get damaged) and it was this combination of no marimo balls and a grow light (bought from a local pet smart on clearance that's "specifically for planted aquariums").

As always any advice is most welcome!
Attachments
20170930_102213.jpg
20170930_102039.jpg
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Supershrimp are fine with a wide range of salinity, Mustafa mentions having bred them at salinities ranging between 7-23 ppt (~1.005-1.016 sg). So the salinity should be fine. As for the algae, as a general rule once you have visible algae in the tank then the tank is ready for the shrimp.