Algae buildup on tank glass

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

jcfrank922
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Algae buildup on tank glass

Post by jcfrank922 »

Hi. I'm really starting to get a lot of algae growth on the glass of my tank. It's starting to become difficult to see them. What is the best way to clean this?
fullsizeoutput_49e.jpeg
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Algae buildup on tank glass

Post by mike.d »

I had the same thing. I left it alone and the shrimp ate it or scraped it off. Now I have an "algae dust" on the substrate. I like it. It looks a bit like miniature green grass.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Also don't feed a thing until the algae is gone from the glass. As long as its there the shrimp have plenty of food.
jcfrank922
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jcfrank922 »

fullsizeoutput_4e4.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4e9.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4dc.jpeg
It has been over 3 months since I have feed any outside food at all. The shrimp seem fine. My 1.5 gallon tank has around 20 shrimp. There is still a lot of algae growth on the right wall of the tank. It receives about 45 minutes of direct sunlight in the morning. The rest of the time, just indirect natural light. I don't want to introduce any snails, as I am concerned they might overpopulate. Should I move the tank to an area with less light? Also, do they get enough nutrition from the algae growth alone? It's been 3 months. Should I feed them 1 tiny pinhead sized shrimp wafer?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

What was suggested above is the best method. And, no, don't feed. They get MORE than enough nutrition from whatever grows in there. Also, go read our member "tooth"'s post right at the top of the forum (it's a sticker and always stays on top). He hasn't fed for years (4+ years) and he has LOTS of offspring and the shrimp are doing great. Resist the urge to feed when there's obviously plenty to eat. ;)

I also wouldn't be worried about snails overpopulating...it never happens unless you feed too much, which you shouldn't be doing anyway. So they are a great indicator species. Very helpful in all kinds of ways...including preventing and fighting cyanobacteria.
jcfrank922
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jcfrank922 »

I purchased a small foam paint brush. They're very inexpensive. I cleaned the inside glass of the tank with it and it worked very well at removing the algae build up on the glass.
71cF36HKkKL._SL1500_.jpg
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoanToBa »

Mustafa wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:50 pm What was suggested above is the best method. And, no, don't feed. They get MORE than enough nutrition from whatever grows in there. Also, go read our member "tooth"'s post right at the top of the forum (it's a sticker and always stays on top). He hasn't fed for years (4+ years) and he has LOTS of offspring and the shrimp are doing great. Resist the urge to feed when there's obviously plenty to eat. ;)

I also wouldn't be worried about snails overpopulating...it never happens unless you feed too much, which you shouldn't be doing anyway. So they are a great indicator species. Very helpful in all kinds of ways...including preventing and fighting cyanobacteria.
I also wanted to put snails in my tank, although I’m also concerned they will overpopulate or reduce the shrimps’s max population capacity.
I’m worried that could happen because of the amount of algae to eat there is in my tank, take a look:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Around where I live, there are only MTS for sale, they reproduce very fast and I don’t want them to overpopulate my tank and then crash it.
Do you think it’s a good idea to put MTS in there? Should I put only one?

There are only 10 shrimp.
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mike.d »

Snails can't overpopulate your tank. If you feed too much they reproduce and clean up the leftovers and algae. If you don't feed enough, their numbers dwindle and they die out. Your shrimp can easily live for a few months/years without extra food. They'll outlast any snails if you stop feeding or run out of algae. You're more likely to starve your snail population and need to buy more in a few months.
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoanToBa »

So, judging by the amount of algae, you think mts would not overpopulate. Now comes the hard part, finding sellers :lol:
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

mike.d is right. In sight they may seem to over populate but soon they will shrink.
The choice is quite tough seing everyone want to keep their gravel and glass clean but only can choose between
the 2.
It's either clean glass or clean under gravel.
Nerite more on glass and above the gravel.
Mustafa snails more on undergravel less on glass.

Those that have deep pocket of gravels should choose Mustafa snails so that those yummy black dark green algae will be consume by them, Otherwise supershrimp babies might dig their way into the gravel for yummy treat and trap there.

Those that have very thin gravel or bare tank floor can choose nerite.

Or have both type of snails if the tank is big enough with huge population of supershrimp :P

Don't like both type then clean the tank manually :P
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoanToBa »

Sounds good!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

jcfrank922 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:22 pm I purchased a small foam paint brush. They're very inexpensive. I cleaned the inside glass of the tank with it and it worked very well at removing the algae build up on the glass.71cF36HKkKL._SL1500_.jpg
Thanks! That's an interesting method! Any updates? Pictures?