First tank - ready for shrimp?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

ozs
Egg
Egg

First tank - ready for shrimp?

Post by ozs »

Hello,

The tank is 2gal, aragonite sand, covered in small pieces of coral.
The tank is about 3+ weeks old. I've had macroalgae in the tank for about 2 weeks, and 10 snails for about a week.(both from this site)
I'm hoping to find some kind of sea fan or some larger coral/lava rock to fill the tank in some more, however I'm not sure if this is essential.
Any thoughts on the tank? Does it look ready to go?
Attachments
Photo Jul 20, 11 37 19 AM.jpg
Photo Jul 20, 11 37 32 AM.jpg
Photo Jul 20, 11 37 27 AM.jpg
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: First tank - ready for shrimp?

Post by Varanus »

Is that algae on the rocks? If so then chances are you're ready.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yep, looks ready to me. Also, you don't really need any more rock (you don't really "need" any rock actually). It's not essential, unless that's just what you prefer in the looks department.
ozs
Egg
Egg

Post by ozs »

Thanks for the replies.
There is lots of growth on the pieces of coral which came from a tank at my local aquarium store, however nothing seems to have grown on the large rock yet.

I was thinking more rocks to have more surface area for growth to feed the shrimp. I'm hoping to have the shrimp feed solely on what's growing in the tank, not adding any food.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Any growth yet besides the already growth containing rocks you got from the store? As for not feeding them...that all depends on how much organic matter is already in your tank. If you run out of algae/biofilm growth at some point and want your shrimp to breed you'll have to feed at least some food every few months.