Are Lava rocks a must for breeding?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Yorumi
Egg
Egg

Are Lava rocks a must for breeding?

Post by Yorumi »

Hi everyone. Im an owner of 2 Opae ula tanks. My first tank was purchased from an independent seller about 2 years back. They have never bred, so I was wondering if there is even 1 male in it. Neither are they really red. Nevertheless.... They are fun to look at and I leave that tank at work. I recently got some snails from my colleague as hers were breding like theres no tomorrow, in her tiny 150ml opae ula cube. However.... My snails have not bred I believe.
First tank. 2 years old. Initially 7 shrimps but added 5 more. Including some snails recently.
First tank. 2 years old. Initially 7 shrimps but added 5 more. Including some snails recently.
Currently, I have set up a new tank in my room. It is an ikea vase. Approx. 3L or more. Oh... I have recently just added some tiny handmade ceramics sculptures which I made. I have checked that my glazes were food safe, but I hope it does not affect my shrimps. :-?

My 2nd tank has more of my ceramic sculptures and larger sea shells. No lava rocks. I have seen other tanks on this site with lava rocks and the shrimps bred after 8 months. Oh... And I only use horned nerites for my 2nd tank. My first have trumpet snails and horned nerites(recently added). I realise how much I love looking at all the snails.

Current new tank.
- 15 Opae Ula
- 7 horned nerites
- 1 large marimo
- some chaeto(which I think wont last too long as it seems to be a food fave in the tank. I have added chaeto to my first tank and itsm seems to be going fast too.)
New tank by my window.
New tank by my window.
Anyone has tanks without lava rocks but had opae ula spawns?
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Are Lava rocks a must for breeding?

Post by Stalker »

you mean those horned nerites breed in captivity?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

If i recall right many of Mustafa's tanks are pretty much bare, so lava rock doesn't seem to influence breeding, it just adds a nice aesthetic/more natural look. You may just have had bad luck, or something may be off with the water. What salty is your water? How often do you feed the tank? Excess nutrients can inhibit successful breeding (though that is more about the larvae not surviving than no breeding occurring).
Yorumi
Egg
Egg

Post by Yorumi »

Stalker wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:18 am you mean those horned nerites breed in captivity?
Nope... I meant the trumpet snails.
Yorumi
Egg
Egg

Post by Yorumi »

Varanus wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:36 pm If i recall right many of Mustafa's tanks are pretty much bare, so lava rock doesn't seem to influence breeding, it just adds a nice aesthetic/more natural look. You may just have had bad luck, or something may be off with the water. What salty is your water? How often do you feed the tank? Excess nutrients can inhibit successful breeding (though that is more about the larvae not surviving than no breeding occurring).
The first tank I hardly feed them. At one point I did and algae grew rampantly. I started cleaning the glass and added snails. All the shrimp and snails manage to clean up every single debris in the tank. I was utterly impressed.

Come to think of it.... I have not even check the salinity of my first tank since I got it 2years ago. I have only top it up with distilled oxygenated water. Will check it when im back in office.

My new tank is literally like less than a week old. So... Will see how it goes.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I see that you put come "normal" saltwater Cheatomorpha sp. in your tank. That species will slowly disintegrate over time. Not all Chaetomorpha spp. survive and thrive at low salinities. That's why you may think it's getting eaten...the shrimp and snails will only eat the disintegrating/dead pieces. They won't touch healthy Chaetomorpha sp.. The one on this website is the variety you want.