Have 8-year Old Ecosystem Shrimp - Not sure what to do

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Have 8-year Old Ecosystem Shrimp - Not sure what to do

Post by Mustafa »

Can't go wrong with snails. I have them in every tank I own.
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoanToBa »

Mustafa, what kind of snails would you reccomend. Do you think Clithon diadema or MTS are suitable? And what aboout nerite snails?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

JoanToBa wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:02 am Mustafa, what kind of snails would you reccomend. Do you think Clithon diadema or MTS are suitable? And what aboout nerite snails?
Mustafa's snails are mostly a relative of the MTS I think, and nerites tend to have too big appetites for most supershrimp tanks.
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoanToBa »

Thanks Varanus. Well, actually, yesterday I recieved two horned nerites (clithon diadema) for my tank. One of them is quite active and small, right after introduction he started eating algae. The other bigger one is theoretically alive (I’ve checked the “trapdoor” and the smell) but still hasn’t moved since I put him in the tank, I hope he does well.
I know they have big appetites and that’s why I chose them, my tank is almost infested with algae (minus the walls interestingly).

Anyway, is it normal for the big snail to remain closed up and not move an inch?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Between bouts of high activity nerites do spend considerable time just sitting in one spot, so it may still be ok. It can be hard to tell.
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoanToBa »

Hope so, thanks for helping.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Just a quick update: 2 months in, everything is still good. We moved into the new house and all the shrimp survived (granted it was only a couple blocks away, lol). I packed them tight with lots of padding in a small box and held them for the drive over so they wouldn't get too jostled. Everyone is doing fine. I haven't even fed them yet.

Once we get settled I'm gonna start on that larger, actual tank for my bedside. I think I'm going to transfer the 5 guys I have in my smaller jar into it and maybe just keep the small jar as an emergency back up holding area if necessary. It's just, now that the shrimp appear to be getting bigger, the little jar just seems too small for them. They aren't as active as the ones in the larger jar.
ThisGuy
Larva
Larva

Post by ThisGuy »

Nice!
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

HOLY CROW! I never thought it would happen in my small tanks, but I have a berried female! I'm stunned! :shock:

Now, I have a question: Assuming she doesn't just outright drop her eggs as first-timers are wont to do, we're having work done on our house which will soon be moving into the room where I'm keeping the shrimp during construction (the last room that will be worked on). I'm going to have to move their tank (for safety purposes). If I walk real slowly and carefully, do you think the very minimal vibration will disturb her too much? I just don't want to cause her to drop her eggs, but I can't halt the construction at this point (although that was the first thought that crossed my mind! My husband saw the look on my face and said "No". LOL). I'll try to hold them off as long as possible though. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I never anticipated having anymore than 10 in the tank. I guess they'll just be a little more cozy now. :wink:
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Congratulations!!! :smt026 :smt041 I think slow-walking them would probably be fine, especially if their new spot has similar temp and light conditions. Hooray! Post pics if you can :)
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

I'll try for pictures. Where they are right now it's hard for me to get in there to snap shots.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

I managed to catch her sunbathing today.

I may just be being optimistic here, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I may have 2 berried females. I noticed a shrimp this morning that seemed a bit bigger and redder than the one in this pic (and possibly had less eggs). But since I haven't yet seen them both out at the same time, I cannot say for certain. It could have just been a difference in lighting angle. And I don't want to pick up the jar to try to view it from different angles to see if they are both out. So, I'll just be patient and see what happens. :-D
Attachments
Whoa mama!
Whoa mama!
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Its quite possible. Berried females like to hide so it can take a lot of observation before you can confirm multiple ones are berried.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Congrats! :smt026
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

We're one month in. I'm pretty sure now I only have 1 berried female. I think it was just shadows or something before that made her appear different. It looks like she may have lost a couple eggs, but nothing too serious. She looks to have 8 or 9 still in there (which will effectively double the population in my jar).

I read that an opae's gestation period is somewhere around 5 weeks. She really doesn't look any different than in the beginning. The eggs don't look any bigger or like they are getting eyes or anything. Should I be seeing more distinct signs of larvae at this point? Or is she just a late bloomer?