Coral + bleach + prime = OK?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Coral + bleach + prime = OK?

Post by SuperProofer »

Hi,

I found a pretty piece of coral at a local aquarium shop which is, obviously, geared more towards pure salt water tanks. I'm going to quote what he said since I don't actually understand it so I don't mess up. Lol

He said "I soaked the coral in bleach to give it that pretty pure white appearance but then I washed it in Prime to clean it off so it's safe for tanks."

So I'm wondering, is this safe to use in my small shrimp tanks? Would the bleach be sufficiently washed off? Or is there something I should do to clean it further?

Thanks!
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Coral + bleach + prime = OK?

Post by Varanus »

I'd be paranoid about putting anything that I know was literally soaked in bleach in a tank with invertebrates. Prime is great at detoxifying stuff, but I don't know if it would handle so much bleach. Especially if he only washed it off with it, the Prime may not have gotten in some of the crannies of the coral (or soaked into porous parts), and especially in a small tank only a tiny amount of toxic residue can have profound effects. There may be more you can do to make it safe, but I am not sure myself.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

What if I bake it for a bit?
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mike.d »

Boiling the rock may work.
https://homebrew.stackexchange.com/ques ... -tap-water

If you put the rock in water do you smell bleach?

Are you willing to sacrifice 1 shrimp to test it?

It's an aquarium shop, I would assume they'd know what they're doing... Prime is the right thing to use. I've bleached Purigen and then soaked it in a Prime mix to get rid of the bleach and it works great. No fish have died. That's fish. I don't use Purigen in my shrimp tank.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Thanks! I will put it in water and see if I smell anything. And will probably boil for good measure. Testing with one shrimp would be fine, but I can only order them in batches of 10. 😜
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

No bleach smell that I can detect (and I have a powerful sniffer).