A question of "hygiene"

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

A question of "hygiene"

Post by SuperProofer »

Soooooo, I was goofing around with another small jar last night using some of the leftover bits and pieces I had from the main tank I'm building. To my surprise, I actually like what I created ALOT. But here's the rub.... I wasn't expecting to use it yet, so I hadn't rinsed any of it off!

I could probably reasonably recreate the scene as I've taken pictures (below), but how bad would it be if I just left it alone and started cycling it?

- the jar came from a store shelf but looks clean already, not even any dust.

- The substrate came out of a bag and when I soaked the first batch, nothing even came off it. The soaking water stayed crystal clear.

- the plant came out of an enclosed plastic container

- the shells came out of a mesh bag on a store shelf, but when I soaked some others from the same bag, nothing really came off them.

- The blue glass pebbles came out of a plastic bag, but there's only about 5 of them in there.
Attachments
Jar 3
Jar 3
Jar 2
Jar 2
Jar 1
Jar 1
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: A question of "hygiene"

Post by Varanus »

Well if you have no reason to think anything came into contact with something toxic then it'd be worth attempting at least.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

But I won't know until I put shrimp in and they die? Hmmmm. So confusing! My perfectionistic personality is getting the better of me here and I'm not wanting to mess with it. Lol
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

I put the water in last night. So far it looks clear. No muck or residual dust off of any of the pieces that I can see... Fingers crossed!!