New Tank Startup Questions

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

qsjb
Egg
Egg

New Tank Startup Questions

Post by qsjb »

Hey All!

I just recently got myself a JBJ 6 gallon nano tank which I plan to make an opae ula tank. I have some new tank startup questions:

1. Once fully cycled, how many opae ula is advised I get for my 6 gallon tank? Would 30 shrimp be sufficient?

2. I see both macroalgae and mossballs are optional. What happens if I use neither? What happens if I just use one over the other (say, just mossballs)?

3. My tank has a refugium/filter area which I plan to leave empty (i.e. no filter, no pump). Should I fill the tank so that water goes into the refugium? If so, do I need to worry about the shrimp going into that back/dark area?

Thanks! I'm excited to get my tank started.
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: New Tank Startup Questions

Post by i<3Opae »

Welcome :D To answer your first question, it depends on what you goal is, do you plan on breeding them? Or just for viewing pleasure? If it's for breeding, 30 is sufficient to start. If it's for viewing only, I have 70 in a 12-gallon tank, and it does seem a bit sparse. Especially if you have a lot of decor for hiding places, 30 won't be that many for your tank size.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

I think 30 just for viewing would not be enough. I have the same JBJ Nano 6 set up right now. If I had to do the tank all over again I would not allow my shrimp to have access to the rear. The shrimp will go back there. I did not block the outlet hole of the filter and they would go through it. I have not used the powerhead that originally came with the tank. I ended putting lava rock in the back and opened up the inlet more by removing the grate. I wish I had not put so much live rock in this tank but don't feel like taking it out and disturbing the tank. I'm fine with the way it is.
nano 6.JPG
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

If you look in the upper left corner of this pic you'll see that I cut out the grate that the water would flow through to the back.
nano.JPG
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Vorteil wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:34 pm I think 30 just for viewing would not be enough. I have the same JBJ Nano 6 set up right now.
Vorteil, how many do you have in your tank? That's a great picture, I see many reds :P
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

Thanks. I have at least 200 in this tank that was started in Dec. 2016. Most hide out in the back. At times you'll see a good amount out.