Q about Food

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Noraelle
Larva
Larva

Q about Food

Post by Noraelle »

I need to go get some fish food for my shrimp, but there are so many kinds, betta fish food, tropical fish food, and goldfish ones. I'm assuming the tropical fish one or ones that say spirulina is better? Can someone advise me?
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Q about Food

Post by Stalker »

Try pellets for plecos or shrimps. Or for guppies since they are really omnivorous.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

If there's algae growing in there why would there be a need to feed? I've pretty much stopped feeding mine and they're doing great just feeding off the bioslime and algae. I'm not experienced by far but from what Mustafa preaches this is the best way to go?
Noraelle
Larva
Larva

Post by Noraelle »

Thank you. Volteil, I didn't clarify but I do not have an established tank yet. I recently got an open ecosystem that I will rehome but that's going to take a few more weeks. I want to feed them some food since ecosystem supposedly does not provide enough nutrients. I've also read that occasional feeding is okay since it provides a wider variety of nutrients?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

It depends on the tank and its particular conditions. If there is always a good amount of algae then some people do just fine with never feeding their tanks. Most supershrimp tanks though do benefit from occasional feedings (like once every two weeks or once every month or so). My tank has never grown much algae (at least visible algae) so I feed my shrimp every three weeks.
jcfrank922
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jcfrank922 »

I feed mine these shrimp wafers I bought on Amazon. Just one tiny wafer maybe once a month or less depending on if you have algae growth. They seem to love them. It takes them about 10 minutes to find it floating on the surface. Then they pull it down to the bottom and a feeding frenzy begins! Afterwards, for days, they swim very actively, as if it really seems to energize them. I think this adds a boost to their diet that they don't receive from the algae growth alone.
fullsizeoutput_4dc.jpeg
Noraelle
Larva
Larva

Post by Noraelle »

Thank you both! Jcfrank922, I looked up that food on Amazon and it sounds great (in terms of it not dissolving in water so I can remove it). I'll definitely try it out.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

My small tanks just get a flake or two of normal fish flake food every few weeks or months depending on algae growth. As long as you have quality fish food it doesn't really matter what brand you feed them.
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

Mustafa wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:11 pm My small tanks just get a flake or two of normal fish flake food every few weeks or months depending on algae growth. As long as you have quality fish food it doesn't really matter what brand you feed them.
How do I know if there's enough algae growth or if I have to supplement?
skittymars
Egg
Egg

Post by skittymars »

I just started introducing food for my shrimps after a year and 5 months. Started with 75 shrimps and I think I'm somewhere around 300 shrimps now. I have been giving them a very small piece of cooked chicken egg yoke and they seem to like it a lot. Picture below was first experiment where I introduced egg yoke and egg white. It was easier for them to eat the egg yoke I think because they are able to break small chunks from it with their claws.

egg.jpg
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

skittymars wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 5:39 pm I just started introducing food for my shrimps after a year and 5 months. Started with 75 shrimps and I think I'm somewhere around 300 shrimps now. I have been giving them a very small piece of cooked chicken egg yoke and they seem to like it a lot. Picture below was first experiment where I introduced egg yoke and egg white. It was easier for them to eat the egg yoke I think because they are able to break small chunks from it with their claws.

egg.jpg
I have an egg in mine! :lol: