WHAT IS THIS GROWING ON MY SEA FAN?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

WHAT IS THIS GROWING ON MY SEA FAN?

Post by Vorteil »

In the last week I have what looks to be some type of hair algae growing on my sea fan. Does anyone know what this is? It;s growing pretty quick. Not sure what to do about it right now.
nano1.JPG
nano2.JPG
nano3.JPG
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: WHAT IS THIS GROWING ON MY SEA FAN?

Post by Mustafa »

Looks like twisted up hair algae. Is it still there? And if so, can you take a more close up pic? Hair algae is something that I usually tell people to get rid of.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

I figured out how to deal with it. It was some type of hair algae. Pulling it off was fine but I could not get all of it off so it would grow back. Here's my solution.
1.JPG
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

:smt017 mine grow over lava rock. I guess they are everywhere. Hair algae is normal in opae tank I suppose.
I would wash the sea fan, dry it under the sun and put it right back because I think it's branch is a beauty.

I'm not sure if this algae is growing due to different type of light spectrum, I'm not an expert .
Tricky part is not with the sea fan but when the hair algae grow in the chaeto is really a mess :smt012
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Vorteil wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:24 am I figured out how to deal with it. It was some type of hair algae. Pulling it off was fine but I could not get all of it off so it would grow back. Here's my solution.1.JPG
I like your solution! :-D