Too soon for biofilm?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Too soon for biofilm?

Post by SuperProofer »

Hi,

I started my first tank (jar) on Friday. I washed everything off prior to placing it in the jar and made sure the salt was thoroughly mixed, but I noticed on Saturday, there was already a very, very fine film at the top of the water line. It's so fine I have to actually tilt my head at just the right angle and look at it from below, in the light, to even notice it. I'm fairly certain it can't be biofilm already, right? The jar is only 0.25 gallon, but still... The even smaller jar I made (2 cups) of which I didn't actually rinse the decor before placing (I'm taking my chances there) doesn't appear to have any film yet. Should I be concerned? Try to get it out? Or just leave it alone?

Thanks!
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Too soon for biofilm?

Post by Varanus »

According to Mustafa biofilm can start growing in a tank in a matter of days, though I can't say for sure that what you're seeing is biofilm. I would think that to have visible biofilm so quickly when you didn't seed the tank with algae/water from something else does seem unlikely. That said I doubt that whatever the film is that its harmful. It may just be dust.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Too soon for biofilm?

Post by SuperProofer »

It does kind of look dusty. Teach me to take so long with the interior decorating! :P I'm so picky. Lol