All of my shrimp are clear

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

beren1hand
Egg
Egg

All of my shrimp are clear

Post by beren1hand »

I purchased 10 shrimp about a month ago and they seem to be doing fine except for their coloring.

When I got them they were pinkish red, then when they settled into the tank the next day they turned darker red. But over time they have all turned clear.

I don't seem to have lost any of them, and I see them crawling around on the rocks I have in there pretty much all the time.

I'm assuming they are stressed out for some reason, but how do I figure out what's exactly wrong and how to fix it?
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: All of my shrimp are clear

Post by i<3Opae »

Generally, when they are "stressed" they lose some color, but should be temporary. Have you tested your water parameters? What about the temp, any filter, lights?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Is the water not still? Is the tank in a area that experiences a lot of frequent vibrations? It is odd that they would stay clear/pale for so long unless something was causing them frequent and fairly major disturbance.

It should be noted some of the shrimp in a given group are likely to be naturally clear/pale and will stay that way, but since you said many of them did color up before going pale this would seem to not be the case with yours.
beren1hand
Egg
Egg

Post by beren1hand »

I haven't tested the water yet because I don't actually have what I need to do that.

I did see one of them swimming around bright red today and there's a discarded shell floating at the top now which I believe indicates that one of them just molted. They are still moving around semi-frequently.

The aquarium is on a metal bookshelf in my office and really shouldn't be experiencing any regular vibrations.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

I have read indications that the supershrimp often shed as part of adapting to their new homes, perhaps more of yours will regain that coloring once they have shed?
beren1hand
Egg
Egg

Post by beren1hand »

I have seen about 4 molts and at least 3 of them are turning back to red. Hopefully they'll keep getting color back as thing progress in there.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It can take a while until the shrimp turn fully red in newly established tanks and in tanks where the conditions aren't close to ideal. But, as usual, the solution is simple. Just wait it out. Everything will be fine. :D