One shrimp completely disappeared!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Noraelle
Larva
Larva

One shrimp completely disappeared!

Post by Noraelle »

I have 5 shrimps in an open ecosphere that's waiting to be transferred to a bigger space once I get it cycled. For the last 2 days I cannot find the juvenile shrimp. I tried to change the light setting and move the jar to different locations but it has completely disappeared! I thought maybe it died but I checked the ammonia level and it's fine. I know that shrimp is small enough to hide in a small lava rock but is it possible for it to not come out at all for 2 days? I'm all paranoid that I sucked it out with a pipette during a recent water change (just 10%) even though I was pretty sure I checked the water before I dumped it out...
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: One shrimp completely disappeared!

Post by i<3Opae »

It could be hiding or just paler than the others so hard to find especially when it's hiding.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

In my sphere, I used to have one that would hide for weeks. At the time, there were only 3 of them so it was easier to notice. One day I looked and there were only 2. I was sure he died. I mean, its a small sphere - where could he possibly go?? Then 2 weeks later, there were 3 again. And so the dance went until the weeks stretched into months and I realized he was finally gone. 🙁 They are good at hiding.

But part of me still thinks he's in there somewhere and that when I do this transfer he's going to come out of hiding, like an old hermit man coming down off the side of his mountain after 50 years of isolation. LOL
Noraelle
Larva
Larva

Post by Noraelle »

Thank you Superproofer; your response was very reassuring. He's hidden for a whole day before but never this long (today's day 3). He's also half the size of others so it's easy to tell. I do plan on transferring them to the new home once that finishes cycling in about a month - so hopefully he'll make a reappearance that day if not before.

By the way, I know you are prepping a new home. I'm actually leaving mine by a window (blinds half closed) that gets some direct sunlight in the day to speed up the algae production. I figure there's no shrimp in there so I'm not concerned about overheating.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. They are *near* a window, just not directly in front of it.