Holy crow! Trooper molted!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Holy crow! Trooper molted!

Post by SuperProofer »

This was wholly unexpected! My sole ecosphere survivor molted today! I've never seen him, or the others when they were alive, do this.

About 4 weeks ago I cracked the lid on his sphere. I've been monitoring him since. I've topped off the evaporated loss a couple times with distilled water while I'm waiting for his new tank to cycle. Hasn't done much to improve the visual quality of his water though.

Tonight I looked in and saw this little ghostly shell stuck to his plant. At first I thought he was dead, but then I saw him sitting on the branch right next to his molt. I can't tell you how stupid giddy that made me. And he does look a little bigger.

So, I guess that means he must be doing alright in there now that his conditions are improving. Can't wait to get him moved into his new home now!!

And for what it's worth, I've had the sphere for at least 8 years and I've never fed him once. Never.
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Holy crow! Trooper molted!

Post by JoanToBa »

Sweet! hope he gets new companions soon!
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Access to outside gas exchange does indeed do wonders for their health. Molting also seems to help them heal/adapt.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Yes, he's (she's?) getting bigger. Has molted 3 times now with the most recent being this week. 😃
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Looks like microorganisms are finally growing in there for it to eat after contact with the outside world. :) Yes, your shrimp appears to be growing.