Qs about feeding

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Noraelle
Larva
Larva

Qs about feeding

Post by Noraelle »

I gave my 4 shrimp (in an open ecosphere, awaiting a transfer to a bigger home) a shrimp wafer by Ocean Nutrition. I read somewhere to remove any uneaten food 2 hours later to prevent polluting the water. Does that still apply if the shrimps are still actively eating it? Also, is it normal that they are so competitive over food? They would literally fight off other shrimp to claim the wafer and there's this one poor fellow who is smaller/paler and hardly had a bite at all because the others pushed him away. It's been 2 hours but I haven't removed the wafer for this little guy.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Qs about feeding

Post by Varanus »

If they're still actively eating it then I think it should be fine to leave it in (so long as it is gone before its been in long enough to decay). And yes, its normal for them to compete over food. Indeed my shrimp for some reason often seem to prefer to chase shrimp that already have a bit of food even when other bits are freely available.

Still in the future you could try breaking the wafer into pieces to decrease competition. But over time all the shrimp who want food should be able to get some regardless as any individual shrimp can only eat so much.
Mrhandsome
Egg
Egg

Re: Qs about feeding

Post by Mrhandsome »

Noraelle wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:35 pm I gave my 4 shrimp (in an open ecosphere, awaiting a transfer to a bigger home) a shrimp wafer by Ocean Nutrition. I read somewhere to remove any uneaten food 2 hours later to prevent polluting the water. Does that still apply if the shrimps are still actively eating it? Also, is it normal that they are so competitive over food? They would literally fight off other shrimp to claim the wafer and there's this one poor fellow who is smaller/paler and hardly had a bite at all because the others pushed him away. It's been 2 hours but I haven't removed the wafer for this little guy.
I have about 40 shrimps in my 7L tank. I fed my shrimps a tiny piece of crushed algae wafer every 2-3 days. This works for me as they continue to breed every 2-3 weeks (i guess they are happy). My tank does not have much green algae growing with indirect sunlight which lead me to feeding. One algae wafer could last me 6 weeks. I have about 50 algae wafer tablets so imagine how little you have to feed them. I will advised you to underfeed than overfeed which can potentially harm your water chemistry. Just my 2 cents worth of advise... cheers!