Hydrometer use

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

nlyzzzzz
Egg
Egg

Hydrometer use

Post by nlyzzzzz »

Hi all,
Just wanted to check for my fluval chi 19L tank -5 gallons, if I measure the salinity at the top half of the tank will it be less saltier than the bottom half of the tank? Using a ISTA hydrometer.
nlyzzzzz
Egg
Egg

Re: Hydrometer use

Post by nlyzzzzz »

Also, my tank has only Brown algae growing on the glass underneath the substrate level. How do I get rid of it without disturbing the shrimps?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

If the salt was fully mixed when you first put the water in then the salinity should be uniform I assume. Also, you really shouldn't need to use a hydrometer if you mixed the water to be at half sea water strength. The shrimp are fine even if the salinity is a bit off from that too.

As for getting rid of that algae. Getting Mustafa's snails would be the best long-term solution as they are burrowers and thus can reach the algae. Otherwise you'll have to do it by hand, and it will probably keep growing back.
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

I have no idea about the Hydrometer, different type of hydrometer might give different reading though.

Those brown algae, I though it'll go away by itself :smt017 ? Anyway Nerite snail loves eating them :)
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

MrsT wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:31 pm I have no idea about the Hydrometer, different type of hydrometer might give different reading though.

Those brown algae, I though it'll go away by itself :smt017 ? Anyway Nerite snail loves eating them :)
In my experience nerites don't really dig much though. Plus their appetites can be a bit much for some supershrimp tanks.
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

Varanus wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:24 pm
MrsT wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:31 pm I have no idea about the Hydrometer, different type of hydrometer might give different reading though.

In my experience nerites don't really dig much though. Plus their appetites can be a bit much for some supershrimp tanks.
Oh it's good that you mentioned it. Yes nerite would be too much for opae tank which is why one is more than enough. My one and only small horned snail doing a very good job though on brown algae, on the glass, inside chaeto( seriously I don't know how it manage to climb in those chaeto :smt005 ) maybe not that much on the ground .
I frequently seeing all my opae pooping so I guess there are alot in there to munch.
Isn't brown algae considered diatom ? I think overtime it will be gone but yes those burrowers you mentioned is a good alternative.
nlyzzzzz
Egg
Egg

Post by nlyzzzzz »

My nerite snail chomp thru the entire patch of chaeto leaving nth left. Also my nerite can't burrow into the substrate. Probably need snails that can burrow. Yes then I supposed the salinity is uniform. Because I see my shrimps are doing fine and quite red however they are not breeding. Does ph also play a factor in breeding other than molting? By right Brown algae should go off when the green ones appear right. Haha.
nlyzzzzz
Egg
Egg

Post by nlyzzzzz »

Yes it's diatom. But mine still has the brown algae for a few months
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

nlyzzzzz wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:38 pm Yes it's diatom. But mine still has the brown algae for a few months
Oh mine too, the only green are hair algae and chaeto. I think you better get those burrower snails. Mine was crush Coral as ground and even though it's a small tank it has a self cleaning sistem built, it's better for me to just stick with nerite.
nlyzzzzz
Egg
Egg

Post by nlyzzzzz »

MrsT wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:03 am
Oh mine too, the only green are hair algae and chaeto. I think you better get those burrower snails. Mine was crush Coral as ground and even though it's a small tank it has a self cleaning sistem built, it's better for me to just stick with nerite.
nice. What types of snails can burrow into substrate.
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

nlyzzzzz wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:18 am
MrsT wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:03 am
nice. What types of snails can burrow into substrate.
Oh I thought Varanus mentioned earlier about Mustafa's snails, I think they are Mts.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

MrsT wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:31 am

Oh I thought Varanus mentioned earlier about Mustafa's snails, I think they are Mts.
The ones I mostly send aren't MTS, they are Tarebia granifera, though sometimes I do send some Melanoides tuberculata.
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

Mustafa wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:15 pm
MrsT wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:31 am

The ones I mostly send aren't MTS, they are Tarebia granifera, though sometimes I do send some Melanoides tuberculata.
Thank you for explanation Mustafa. Are the both far distant relatives?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Not sure how distant they are, but they are relatives. Not too distant actually.