Shrimp holding on to larvae?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

shrimpy4
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Shrimp holding on to larvae?

Post by shrimpy4 »

Maybe I’ve never seen this part of the cycle, but it looks like the berried shrimp that I had (now one more after a long drought, excellent) seems to have had all of her eggs hatch but it looks like the larvae are all still clutched underneath her.

Is this normal? In the past I’ve only ever noticed berries to free-floating larvae. Will they eventually release?

Best picture I could get, they look like they’re fanning off her underbelly
Attachments
33F63E4D-46E5-47BB-84DB-9D0D4B90020A.jpeg
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Shrimp holding on to larvae?

Post by minishrimps »

This is normal. The female holds onto them until they wiggle themselves free. It usually happens pretty quickly so that may be why you didn't see it before.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Yeah, I've seen this a number of times. The newly hatched larvae seem to get stuck for a while in whatever sticky stuff holds the eggs on the female but they eventually struggle free. The female may even help them by standing still and raising her tail into the open water.
shrimpy4
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpy4 »

Right on, sure enough I’m seeing free floating larvae now.

Go figure, when I was eyeballing her as she hid under that rock, I noticed another one with larvae sticking to it hiding nearby. I confused them for a single one earlier. What’s more, looks like at least one but maybe two more are berried now.

After more than a year of no breeding in my 5-gallon tank, they’re finally breeding like crazy.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

:smt109
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

shrimpy4 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:17 am
After more than a year of no breeding in my 5-gallon tank, they’re finally breeding like crazy.
Congrats! Once they get going, they really get going. :)