Questions before I start

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

DanDanTheMan
Egg
Egg

Questions before I start

Post by DanDanTheMan »

I am very interested in starting my own tank but I have a couple questions before I do.

1) I am planning on getting a 1 or 2.5 gallon mason jar to put them in. Are they going to need an open lid aquarium or are they going to be fine with a closed lid aquarium that gets opened for feeding, cleaning, ext?

2) How many shrimp should I get for a 1 (or 2.5) gallon tank to not only see them but have them breed?

3) Are there any special lights I can put above the shrimp for the twelve hour period or would any led light work?

4) What kind of decoration should I have inside the tank for the shrimp? Sticks, maybe something you would normally find in a fish tank? Is it important to give them something to hide in or is that not too important?

Sorry for all of the questions but I want to make sure I get everything right before I start my first one off.
Last edited by DanDanTheMan on Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherKevin
Larva
Larva

Re: Questions before I start

Post by AnotherKevin »

1. I'm not sure, sorry. Is the seal airtight? I know that some amount of air exchange is important (that's a big problem with "ecospheres"), but I don't know how much.

2. We started with 10 shrimp in a bowl that's about 1 gallon, and it was plenty. (Since then, they've been breeding like crazy. I wish they'd stop, actually.)

3. Algae isn't too demanding, so a typical LED desk light should work.

We're using the 3-watt "Ikea Jansjo Desk Work LED Lamp Light", and it's working out fine. (We connected it to a timer so it's on for 12 hours a day.)

4. I would avoid anything wooden in such a small container, because I'd worry that tannic acids might leach out and cause problems. (Maybe I'm just being paranoid, though.) Other than that, anything that's safe for a saltwater fishtank should be fine.

Personally, I think hiding places are a good idea. It lets them express more of their natural behavior. I have two lava rocks which fit together nicely, almost as if they were one rock split in half. The space between them forms a narrow crack or cave which the shrimp sometimes hide in, especially when carrying eggs. But most of the shrimp spend most of their time out in the light, where their food grows.