Best Shrimp Food?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Cakelake
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Best Shrimp Food?

Post by Cakelake »

Hello,

I was wondering what the best food would be to feed my shrimp. I currently use spirulina powder but I never see them go to the top of the tank to eat it when I sprinkle any in. I presume that it would be better to use sinking pellets. Is there a brand/type anyone recommends?
jcfrank922
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Best Shrimp Food?

Post by jcfrank922 »

I feed my shrimp Ocean Nutrition Shrimp Wafers that I bought on Amazon. I give them only one pellet about once a month. It starts out floating on the surface of the water, but after around ten minutes, they find it and pull it down to the tank floor where they all go crazy talking turns feeding off of it. They really seem to love them.
fullsizeoutput_4dc.jpeg
kouopaeula
Egg
Egg

Post by kouopaeula »

I have been feeding them with Spirulina lately. They love it. I am using the Pure Hawaiian Spirulina 500mg 400 tablets which is for human consumption. You might be able to find a lower count tablets. The Spirulina made for human consumption is cleaner and better quality. I think it is better for the shrimps and water especially we don't change the water for years. I break them into smaller pieces using a spoon and drop one piece at a time into the water. The spirulina sink to the bottom. It is easier for the shrimp to find and eat at the bottom of the tank. Below is the video on them eating the Spirulina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSWYcilk9g4
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoanToBa »

I recommend feeding your shrimpies spirulina powdef.

To feed them you should mix the powder with water before adding it in the tank, then you take the liquid with a syringe (without needle) and pour it inside the water. The shrimps will go crazy with it.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

I don't know if there is a best food, some people have done well feeding simple fish flakes while others do well with specialized shrimp food.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

There is no "best" shrimp food. Just make sure your fish food is from a reputable, well-known company and you're good to go.