New to the Forum: Set up tank today

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: New to the Forum: Set up tank today

Post by Mustafa »

It's not difficult at all and people do it all the time here following my instructions on the website. You actually don't need any of this at all and it may complicate things if too much organic matter and possible hitchhikers (organisms) are introduced. the "cycle" in a Supershrimp tank is completely different from what people are used to from reef and freshwater tanks. You just let it sit until you see algae. Done. No "starter" organic matter needed. It's really all very simple and tried and true for almost a decade and a half. :)
JoanToBa wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:46 pm With my personal experience, it is very difficult to get some algae growth without adding anything live in there.
As you have many months to go you could ask a friend that has a reef tank about two tablespoons of live sand or a small rock (not tiny).
If it’s not the case, you could buy a bit of live sand from a reef tank in your local pet fish shop (usually, for such small quantities they will give it to you free).
I recommend you having your tank at about 1.012 SG and have some marimo, it also helps to cycle and you’ll meanwhile have a marimo pet in the tank :D

Hope it helps :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
JoeG
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoeG »

I ended up getting 30 shrimp last Friday, Dec 1! They are very active and a nice bright red color. I floated the breathable bag they came in for 20 minutes in the tank. Then I added 1/4C of the tank water to the bag every 5 minutes for 1/2 hour. After the 1/2 hour I let the bag sink into the tank and let the shrimp come out in their own time. They 'flew' around the tank Friday, settled down Saturday, and today they are grazing on the Marimo balls, the lava rock, the sides of the tank (brown algae), and the surface film. They seem content and will not be fed anything else for at least a month, correct?
Here is a little blurred picture of four of the guys on a Marimo ball. Note they look huge but the ball is only about the size of a nickle. :-)
Attachments
NewShrimp120120172.jpg
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

JoanToBa, it's usually a good idea to start your own thread when you're starting a completely new topic (this time about your own tank). What you're doing is referred to to as "thread hijacking" in online circles and is frowned upon. Just an FYI. :-)