Sinking Shrimp - Not Sure What Is Happening!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Kval1015
Larva
Larva

Sinking Shrimp - Not Sure What Is Happening!

Post by Kval1015 »

We had recently received an additional 20 shrimp to add to our existing tank of 20 shrimp; we have a large 10 gallon tank. We had no issues with the first set and decided to get them some additional friends.

Today, about 2 weeks after the addition of the new 20 shrimp I have seen some very strange shrimp behavior. 3 shrimp were swimming but not going anywhere and then all of sudden dropped to the ground. They are still moving but slowly. They just seemed to sink to bottom. I've tested the tank and all water parameters are in the healthy/ideal range.

HELP!! Not sure what is happening!
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Sinking Shrimp - Not Sure What Is Happening!

Post by JoanToBa »

Hope this helps:

viewtopic.php?t=5278

Good luck!
Kval1015
Larva
Larva

Post by Kval1015 »

Well it's not looking good.

We removed them from the water and created a small container of fresh brackish water. We scooped them out with a net amd were careful to bring over no contaiminated water. We had saved over 20 this morning with our emergemcy tank evacuation efforts. We are now down to 8.

I have NO CLUE what happened! We have had this tank for months with shrimp and suddenly out of blue we now have lost about all of our shrimp. Do they ever get sick like this? Does anyone know what could have caused this? I'm hoping a few survive in the new water bowl so I can save a few for my desk at least.

We will most likely not be starting up our 10 gallon tank again.
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoanToBa »

That’s really weird... I think Mustafa maybe would know

Good luck!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Are you saying out of the 20 shrimp 12 have already died? Or are you predicting that you will lose your shrimp? Do you have pictures? Videos? It's not clear what you mean by "sink"...do they just swim and then sink to the ground and lie on their backs or sides or do they just sit there still on their legs?

In any case...if the shrimp are dying it means that *something* got into the water. Either a chemical or something that was introduced via decoration/rocks etc.. Something as simple as traces of cleaner or bug spray on your hand still when you are handling things in the tank can do it. These shrimp don't just die suddenly for no reason and they don't really get "sick" either. I'd do a 80+ percent water change immediately in your main tank and just wait it out. You can't permanently keep your "saved" shrimp in completely newly made up brackish water in a different container....just put them back into the main tank after the water change. Some shrimp may still not make it (if they are actually dying..not clear from your description) but eventually the rest will be fine.
Kval1015
Larva
Larva

Post by Kval1015 »

Hi Mustafa,

Of the 20 we saved there were 9 remaining when i got home from work. I don't have videos or photos but they would be swimming and then just stop. No more movement and just sink down to the substrate and stop moving. It was very bizarre.

We are not sure what happened. I didn't handle anything in the tank that day and everything was OK for weeks. We had just gotten an additional 20 shrimp and our tank was finally clear from almost all overgrown algae. The only thing we did notice is that the heat came in our apartment and it caused a strange strong smell from the tank. The temperature in the tank was not higher than usual but the apartment was very warm throughout the day.

To be safe, we cleared out all the water and will be making a smaller tank. I'm assuming we would still need to cycle this New tank. Will the shrimp be ok in the smaller brackish water bowl for the next month or so or if we use most of the same water could we cut down on the cycle time? Do you have a food suggestion while they are in this in between home?

I am glad we were able to save a bunch. I have been wracking my brain but just cannot think of what would have gotten in the water.
Kval1015
Larva
Larva

Post by Kval1015 »

We are going to create a smaller tank for the survivors. Is there anything we can do to speed along the cycling process?

Right now we have our remaining shrimp in a small Pyrex bowl so I want to get them moved ad quickly as possible. Any suggestions of the best thing to do?

We had argonite and lava rocks in our last tank. I am thinking of using glass marbles as substrate instead. Will that help? Should we feed them in this Pyrex bowl since there is no algae in there. I really want to make sure these guys are safe.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Adding Mustafa's macoralgae and snails is one way to speed cycling, but it will still probably take a few weeks.
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

I suspect there must be something went in your 10gal tank, either from your hand or tweezers that goes in it. I would be careful of using anything from the 10 gal.
If you decide to just keep them in your small emergency tank right now, you can :

* Speed up algae growth by , take some of the rocks of coral in this emergency tank with some of its water, put it in a small jam jar add a few shrimp food or fish food. Leave it outdoor under the sun for a week or two. After the algae grow on those rocks/coral just dump right back in the emergency tank. Throw away the jam jar water.(You can take few pieces of corals or rock from 10 gal tank, just make sure you wash it with fresh brackish water before you culture algae in the jam jar). Take note, do not seal the culture algae jar, just cover slightly allowing air exchange.

* If you intend to order more from seller, try to ask if seller able to provide additional tank water. You can just dump everything including the shrimp right in your setup.

*Do not place tank nearby plants where you spray pesticide.
*Try avoid placing near radiation like internet modem or similar to that.

This way it'll save you alot of time and worry.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

No, you don't have to and shouldn't feed them. Just observe them. If you see any more problems, do another water change. But most likely you can just leave them alone in there. How are they doing? It's been a while.
Kval1015
Larva
Larva

Post by Kval1015 »

Hello Everyone -

So we have about 7 survivors that powered through in a small Pyrex bowl while I cycled a small 0.5 gallon jar. I added them to the new tank this past weekend and within a day they all turned red and I saw 2 molts. Additionally they have been extremely active - it seems like they are very happy in the new environment. Is it possible for them to berry in this size tank?

The jar does have a lid, it's somewhat loose fitting, without a gasket. We have cats so I would like to keep this lid on. Any concerns with this?

I've attached two photos here! Thank you for all the help!
Attachments
20180124_092708.jpg
20180120_145215.jpg
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Lids are fine so long as they don't make the top of the tank airtight.
Kval1015
Larva
Larva

Post by Kval1015 »

All shrimps are redder than I have ever seen. They are often in between the lava rocks or hiding in little holes/caves that the lava rock makes with the substrate. They seem to be very happy in their new habitat. I haven't seen any additional molts since the two from the first week they were in the jar.

I am hoping for some berried shrimp. With only about 7 in 0.5gallon jar is it likely that they will reproduce? Seems to be room for some more friends in there but before purchasing more I would like to give them a chance to reproduce on their own.
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Glad these guys are doing better! Berried shrimp would happen when the conditions in your new jar stablize, so there is no predicting when that will happen. Patience is key! If you do decide to buy more, I would suggest putting the new shrimp in a holding tank for observation first. Simply because you mentioned you added some shrimp before the 10 gallon tank suddenly crashed. Could it be there were contaminants in the shrimp seller’s water? Also you mentioned a strong smell in the old tank, a cycled tank shouldn’t have any smell at all. Our tank temp is in the 80s all the time, and it doesn’t have any smell. Since your new jar is doing well, I’d just be cautious with any new additions.
Kval1015
Larva
Larva

Post by Kval1015 »

Thanks for the info.

I've purchased all my shrimp through Mustafa so I'm sure they were fine. There was a small hole in the top of our tank lid that I think a contaminant may have gotten in through. Also, we had a macroalgae that didn't appear to be thriving so I'm sure that might have also played a role. As a result, just to be safe, I have kept live plants out of this tank. It's not very large so I also didn't want my shrimpies to feel crowded.

They are all very red and swimming a TON! I hope that is a good sign. I will keep a look out for berried shrimp in the future, hopefully we get lucky!