Simply try out another tank

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Simply try out another tank

Post by MrsT »

My trial tank fail. Not that kinda break down fail but more like I Do Not Have The Patience to wait for the cultured algae consumed by opae.

If I didn't see something in my small tank I wouldn't even bother to change the whole set up.
The thing was I read some topic on this thread and found the same with my small tank.

https://www.petshrimp.com/discussions/v ... ack#p39248
I stir up the bottom of it, to my surprised there were lots of babies corpse, not larva but babies.
Then I thought ...there are no way babies going in there unless they wants to eat that green black algae/bacteria/cyanobacteria you name it. I think babies love that stuff. Now, due to my self cleaning system i did top up with R.o from time to time, the current might have suck them more deeper in and they trapped and died.

So yeah, I am now convinced that all supershrimp tank have this cyanobacteria/black green algae under the tank bed. The way to get rid of it is by using Mustafa snails or setting a bare tank for easy cleaning in the future.

Back to my outdoor tank. I removed most of the coral crush including the cultured algae. I replaced it with everything from my small tank just enough to cover the tank floor, as u see in the pic. there were gaps, I want it that way. I put my nerite in there, he just chomp right through all those corals and media on the tank floor.

Now I can settle my worry. I will update from time to time.
Attachments
I purposely leave gaps everywhere
I purposely leave gaps everywhere
Transfering all crush corals and media to big outdoor tank
Transfering all crush corals and media to big outdoor tank
Closed up on that algae bottom in my small tank
Closed up on that algae bottom in my small tank
Here's my small tank, look underneath with those green black algae/bacteria/cyanobacteria I don't know what you call it.
Here's my small tank, look underneath with those green black algae/bacteria/cyanobacteria I don't know what you call it.
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

I have a berried isolated in a jar. She releases few eggs today. It's my first witness to these adorable floating creatures. :smt026 so happy.
Attachments
IMG_20171213_103052.jpg
IMG_20171213_102948.jpg
IMG_20171213_102348.jpg
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

That a handsome holey red lava rock! Where did u get it??
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

Erlina _rusli wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:30 pm That a handsome holey red lava rock! Where did u get it??
Hi Erlina_rusli, thank you ^^ , I got mine from the fish shop. Other than fish shop, you can get red lava rock quite easily though in gardening shop, orchid farm and those hardware shop selling barbeque stuff. :smt023
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

Update:
Seemed that most of my opae shrimps follow a fix schedule. They are at their busiest scavenging between 5-7pm and during sunrise 7-8am.

As I clean outside yesterday, I saw 1 female with rounder belly/huge swimmeret. She kept them loosely aererate, maybe she just sheded off her skin. There were 5 males did that mating ritual dance .

I was busy so I just let them be. Today I saw her again and she berried :shock: I pretty sure it's the same female, she likes to hang around near that spot.
Honestly I wasn't expecting this so soon because this tank is still newly set up. Without getting disappoint of another berried dropping eggs again, Im gonna continue my own busy schedule and let her be.
Attachments
IMG_20171228_132659.jpg
Today
Today
Yesterday
Yesterday
Last edited by MrsT on Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

They prefer noon to get busy these 2 weeks :shock: Today is the 3rd time I witness them doing the mating ritual dance. I spotted another female berried, slightly smaller female than the 1st one..
Attachments
IMG_20180103_153123.jpg
IMG_20180103_153355.jpg
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

Again a female molted and the mating ritual dance never stop today. During their busy moment I spotted another berried. How can I tell? She is the only one with the largest egg sack, a she is very fast, is so hard to get a pic of her. Afew of her eggs dragging the bottom while she moves around.
That's it, I think this is not gonna stop but I am soon going to lost count lol :smt005
Attachments
IMG_20180109_190107.jpg
IMG_20180107_191427.jpg
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Looks like you're finally getting lots of reproduction attempts! I would just leave the shrimp and the tank alone...no feeding, nothing. I'm pretty sure you'll have larvae and babies very soon! Put some snails in there too so they can munch on the cyanobacteria.
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

Mustafa wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:31 pm Looks like you're finally getting lots of reproduction attempts! I would just leave the shrimp and the tank alone...no feeding, nothing. I'm pretty sure you'll have larvae and babies very soon! Put some snails in there too so they can munch on the cyanobacteria.
:D thank you Mustafa :smt006 , i heed your advice, i never fed the shrimp. The only thing i fed was the pieces of coral rocks when i started this tank. The Cyano bac are producing very quick and bubbles everywhere i have no choice but to think of my nerite.
So yes i did add my existing nerite in... plus i bought a partner for him, looks like i hit a jackpot this time, i bought a female nerite and she starts decorating the tank with her eggs :smt005 which i am okay with it because that means my tank water is okay for them.

I just don't like planaria, i gave up crs and rcs due to planaria and opt for this opae ula because i do not need to feed them and chances of messing with the water chemistry is lesser. I really hope all the babies can make it but i just don't want to expect too much, i'm scared of dissapointment again for eggs dropping :-|,finger crossed praying.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The problem is that nerites don't eat cyanobacteria. Most things don't eat cyanobacteria You need the "brackish water snails", either Melanoides tuberculata or Tarebia granifera. The snails and the shrimp will take care of things after a few weeks to months.
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

Mustafa wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:53 pm The problem is that nerites don't eat cyanobacteria. Most things don't eat cyanobacteria You need the "brackish water snails", either Melanoides tuberculata or Tarebia granifera. The snails and the shrimp will take care of things after a few weeks to months.
I don't know how to explain this Mustafa, I will see how it goes in a year time . The pic below is the tank wall which was previously covered all by thick cyanobacteria. It has been chomped down by my nerite. Though I hope I was wrong.
Attachments
IMG_20180116_084256.jpg
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Of course there isn't much left, but that doesn't look like cyanobacteria but some type of brown algae to me. Cyanobacteria tend to grow in carpets and then peel off your substrate and walls of the tank in one large piece.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Here are two pictures of the thick mats that cover everything. One is green and from a freshwater tank...the other red from a saltwater tank:
Attachments
Cynobacteria-Red-SlimeS.jpg
cyanogreen.jpg
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

Mustafa wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:42 pm Of course there isn't much left, but that doesn't look like cyanobacteria but some type of brown algae to me. Cyanobacteria tend to grow in carpets and then peel off your substrate and walls of the tank in one large piece.
This is why it's very hard to explain this to you Mustafa, it was thick green before they chomp down. Unless there consume different type of cyanobacteria that made certain hobbyist confused with "do nerite really eat cyanobacteria ?"
I think you did mentioned it before they are different types, I'm sure not only colours, they probably varies type of green cyanobacteria . Even shrimp food/spirullina were made from them . Spirullina were sort of redish when mix in water, that reminds me of red cyanobacteria.

I'm not worry about the ugly looks on my tank, so far there were no green carpet looking in there and the snail just chomp right through the floor which I sparingly made with gaps everywhere. I will monitor if there are huge death troll of those shrimps and update here ok?
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

I'm going to leave my previous post which the end of 2nd page over there shows a comparison bigger shrimplet and larvae.
https://www.petshrimp.com/discussions/v ... 7&start=15

I will keep update this thread onwards but not on monitoring their age. Because of my miscalculation, those larvae had been released probably twice :? So what I see in my tank not only the bigger shrimplets , there are some few weeks old and few floating larvae.