New Set Up 11/7/17

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

ms_american_pie
Egg
Egg

New Set Up 11/7/17

Post by ms_american_pie »

Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the helpful tips and info for starting a Opae Ula tank! I set my 1.3 gallon tank up on November 7th using aragonite sand, a faux aquarium decoration and a natural black sea fan. I used Instant Ocean at half the recommended amount to make the distilled water brackish. So it's been cycling for about 3 weeks now near a window w/indirect natural light supplemented with the tank's included LED light (Days are short in the PNW right now). As of a few days ago I started getting this fuzzy growth on the substrate, I don't know if it's the start of algae or some kind of bacterial growth. It's not green, it's just fuzzy looking. I don't see anything green in the tank right now that isn't part of the faux aquarium decoration coloring. I just received a moss ball and macroalgae from Mustafa today and added that in. I'm adding pics of my set up and the fuzz growing. Has anyone else seen this? I haven't tested the water for ammonia, nitrates or salinity either. Should I go get a test kit?
Attachments
IMG_4978.jpg
IMG_4979.jpg
SGTSHEW
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: New Set Up 11/7/17

Post by SGTSHEW »

Nice looking setup. I wish I would have got the argonite sand instead of the gravel.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I'm pretty sure your tank is getting ready for shrimp. It may already be ready I would say. Some kind of bacterial or other biofilm growth is normal. There appears to be even green algae growth in the front (on the rock? hard to see). Everything looks fine so far to me. :)
ms_american_pie
Egg
Egg

So I finally decided to get a test kit to be on the safe side. I didn't want to order shrimp only to have them die on me. So I tested my water today and all the levels are zero!! No ammonia, nitrites or nitrates!! I'm excited, but now I have to wait until 2018 to get my shrimpies. Whump, whump. I guess a couple more weeks won't hurt. I also have this cobweb looking algae growing, has anyone else seen this?
ms_american_pie
Egg
Egg

So I received my 16 shrimp & 10 snails on Friday and am happy to report everyone is doing extremely well. The snails burrowed into the sand almost instantly and the shrimp started out a little pale and now are regaining some of their color. They're happily trucking around and eating stuff off of the substrate. :) Thanks for all your info and guidance everyone!! I'm hoping these guys start reproducing in the next few months! That would be cool!
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Glad to hear that! Enjoy your tank and good luck!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Make sure to post updates here once in a while. Preferably with pictures! :)
ms_american_pie
Egg
Egg

I have my first berried Shrimp!!

Hey Guys!!

Update on the tank I started in November and added shrimp to in early January. I saw my first berried shrimp!! I fed them a small amount of algae powder for the first time about 3 weeks ago. I haven't been keeping a close eye on them and a couple days ago I stopped to watch them for a bit and noticed one of the more red shrimp carrying a big bunch of eggs!! It wasn't until the next day when I was looking for her again that I noticed a paler shrimp also carrying eggs. At first I thought she had changed color and then I realized there are 2 shrimp Mamas in there!! I'm super excited!! I was able to get a pic of the pale shrimp mom. The red one is a little more elusive, but I'll add a pic when I can get a good one!
Attachments
IMG_5433.JPG
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Congratulations to you and your shrimp mamas!!! :smt041 :smt041 :smt041
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Congrats! It's always exciting to have your first berried shrimp (and then your first larvae, and first babies etc.). :)