New to SuperShrimp - Will Biorb tank work??

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

GadgetGirlM
Egg
Egg

New to SuperShrimp - Will Biorb tank work??

Post by GadgetGirlM »

So, I came across the ecosphere on amazon and became completely intrigued. After reading the reviews however I decided I might need to do my own setup and found this site and forum.

I was going to get a beta fish tank, but I came across this tank in Tractor Supply today and love the look of it.

http://www.biorb.com/en-us/shop/aquariu ... lo-15-mcr/
20171129_151631.jpg
Will this tank work well for SuperShrimp? I figured I would need to use my own sand in the bottom instead of the medium that comes with it, though I may add a few pieces of it on top. I also want to add some Nano marimo balls. They are so cute and make me think of Dr Seuss.

I love that it can automatically cycle the light to be on for 12 hours and on "moonlight" for 12 hours and have the tank lights change colors, etc. I'm wanting to put it on my desk at work. I travel a lot so SuperShrimp sound perfect for me since I probably only need to feed them once every couple weeks if that.

If this tank will work for SuperShrimp, how many shrimp would be appropriate for this size of tank?? (almost 4 gallons)

Also, from what I understand, I wouldn't need to use the filter or air tubes that come with it, is that correct? I am pretty sure I can just remove them from the tank..... Hopefully.

Thanks!!!
Aennedry
Larva
Larva

Re: New to SuperShrimp - Will Biorb tank work??

Post by Aennedry »

Generally anything that holds water and permits light to shine through will work for these lovely shrimp. Remember they can hack it out several years in a horridly small airtight orb. You will not need a filter or an air stone with pump. Just some light, a smidge of food now and then and a small water change every few months. RO water topoffs when needed. I swear these are the easiest aquatic creatures you can keep.
=^._.^=
Aennedry
Larva
Larva

Post by Aennedry »

Generally anything that holds water and permits light to shine through will work for these lovely shrimp. Remember they can hack it out several years in a horridly small airtight orb. You will not need a filter or an air stone with pump. Just some light, a smidge of food now and then and a small water change every few months. RO water topoffs when needed. I swear these are the easiest aquatic creatures you can keep. Four gallons will keep quite a few. I currently have near a hundred in a 5 gallon and there is room to spare.
Aennedry wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:08 pm Generally anything that holds water and permits light to shine through will work for these lovely shrimp. Remember they can hack it out several years in a horridly small airtight orb. You will not need a filter or an air stone with pump. Just some light, a smidge of food now and then and a small water change every few months. RO water topoffs when needed. I swear these are the easiest aquatic creatures you can keep.
=^._.^=
=^._.^=
Aennedry
Larva
Larva

Post by Aennedry »

Ahhh... The joys of cats walking across keyboards...
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

:smt005
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

That’s a nice looking aquarium! Having a round tank is probably easier on your eyes!
ShrimpyShrimpShrimp
Larva
Larva

Post by ShrimpyShrimpShrimp »

GadgetGirlM wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:12 pm So, I came across the ecosphere on amazon and became completely intrigued. After reading the reviews however I decided I might need to do my own setup and found this site and forum.

I was going to get a beta fish tank, but I came across this tank in Tractor Supply today and love the look of it.

http://www.biorb.com/en-us/shop/aquariu ... lo-15-mcr/

20171129_151631.jpg

Will this tank work well for SuperShrimp? I figured I would need to use my own sand in the bottom instead of the medium that comes with it, though I may add a few pieces of it on top. I also want to add some Nano marimo balls. They are so cute and make me think of Dr Seuss.

I love that it can automatically cycle the light to be on for 12 hours and on "moonlight" for 12 hours and have the tank lights change colors, etc. I'm wanting to put it on my desk at work. I travel a lot so SuperShrimp sound perfect for me since I probably only need to feed them once every couple weeks if that.

If this tank will work for SuperShrimp, how many shrimp would be appropriate for this size of tank?? (almost 4 gallons)

Also, from what I understand, I wouldn't need to use the filter or air tubes that come with it, is that correct? I am pretty sure I can just remove them from the tank..... Hopefully.

Thanks!!!
I just got this tank as well. How has your turned out?