Store bought RO vs Distilled water

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SGTSHEW
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Store bought RO vs Distilled water

Post by SGTSHEW »

So knowing I already can go to the aquarium store and get water I was curious If I could just pick some up at the grocery store. I looked at all of the options available and found the Safeway brand Refreshe Purified Water was the only one that didn't state it had anything added for taste just simple RO water. I got home and looked it up and it does in fact have calcium chloride (salt) and sodium bicarbonate (another salt). Would it be best to just use the distilled water? I have heard that RO water is the best to use.
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Store bought RO vs Distilled water

Post by Nellyville41 »

Just use distilled water. You can buy it anywhere at like Walmart, Target, grocery stores etc.
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Stalker »

All artificially purified water are similar for the aquarist. You have "distilled" (it's not, in grossery stores), RO (petstores), real distilled (labs) or artificial water (hydrazine or hydrogen combustion like in the martian). There is no difference for you BUT, distilled water from the grossery store is not meant to be drinked or given to animals and plants, so stored in cannisters made from unknown cheap plastic. It may release in the water traces of solvent or endocrine disruptors. I dont know how is it in you country but in France we have some bottled water with very pure water, many parents use it to dissolve milk for babies, and also bottled water from volcano lakes, basically free of minerals.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

You can use either RO or distilled water. The distilled water here is sold in the exactly the same one gallon bottles that drinking water is sold in. You can also use the giant RO machines outside grocery stores and some convenience stores that sell you RO water for 25 to 30 cents a gallon.
SGTSHEW
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by SGTSHEW »

A Natural Grocer just opened up literally next door that has an RO machine. Done deal. Thanks everyone.
jcfrank922
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jcfrank922 »

Use distilled water. These shrimp are not finicky.