Question about Led Lights

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Question about Led Lights

Post by SuperProofer »

Hi,

Anyone know if these cork lids with LED lights in them would be too intense for a shrimp jar? Normally, they are sold for marimo balls, so I'm guessing they can't get too hot, but didn't know if anyone had any experience with them in smaller spaces. (Below are pictures for reference)
Cork Lid w/LED light
Cork Lid w/LED light
Jarlid2.JPEG
SGTSHEW
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Question about Lid Lights

Post by SGTSHEW »

I’m curious about this too. I ordered a 5 gallon pickle jar for my next tank and was wanting some sort of cork light set up. What’s the wattage on them?
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

I don't know. The listing didn't specify as they came as a whole kit. I haven't forged ahead with the research on it myself yet hoping someone here would know.
MessyJessy129
Egg
Egg

Post by MessyJessy129 »

I had actually been looking into this as well! I found someone on etsy (if you're wondering, the shop name is NewDreamWorld) who makes those exact aquariums with marimo balls in the jars with the LED lights. I read some of the reviews on this etsy site... and one person said that they added volcano shrimp to theirs... and so I messaged her and asked how her shrimp were doing. She just got back to me and reported that she has had them in this environment for a little over a month and she says the shrimp are all still alive and doing well and eating off the marimo ball... so I'm going for it.

What she did to prep her terranium/aquarium was to clean the jar, rocks, and shells with distilled water and then added the brackish water... let it sit for a week (she said you should probably let it sit longer) with the marimo ball in it... and then added the shrimp. She did say that she had some crabs in it... but they died.

Hope this helped. :)
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

For fun sake, anyone can do this . Probably don't seal the lid tightly.
https://youtu.be/fiH2QLJYXk8
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Cute!