Keeping old ecosystem as back up?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Noraelle
Larva
Larva

Keeping old ecosystem as back up?

Post by Noraelle »

I'm in the process of rehoming friends from a small ecosystem jar to a larger home. Can I keep the ecosystem jar (it's an open system) as a "back up" tank for emergencies? The old home is fully cycled and has plenty of green algae whereas the new home is just recently cycled with diatom. Would the old jar remain a good habitat for shrimp without any shrimp to complete the cycle? I can adjust light to maintain some algae but not overgrowth?

Finally, Mustafa wasn't clear about whether it's okay to move shrimp with brown algae (diatom) or if we should wait for green algae, can someone clarify?
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Keeping old ecosystem as back up?

Post by MrsT »

No one wants to responsible if anything goes wrong when one do not follow the basic rules in keeping supershrimp.
I'm that 'one' person that don't follow the basic lol :P.

In my 'only' one year experience with supershrimp, i can only assume by keep staring at the supershrimp after you put it in the new tank, after repeatingly staring at it on and off, you will be lucky to get a glimpse of your pet pooping. That indicates there are foods in there.
so far mine poops even without diatom, a newly set up. So i'm guessing, they ate biofilm.
All in all, mine ate biofilm, diatom, green algae, cyanobacteria, dirt/detritus.
I read that others have their supershrimp ate crushed tiny baby snails and live worms.

Edited:
I forgot to reply to your question. Yes it is ok to keep the old tank for back up. If you have snail, it'll be perfect. You might not want to add any food just leave it be. I saved my small tank for emergency too, my only Nerite will be transfering alternately in between both tanks.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Keeping old ecosystem as back up?

Post by Mustafa »

Noraelle wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:50 pm Finally, Mustafa wasn't clear about whether it's okay to move shrimp with brown algae (diatom) or if we should wait for green algae, can someone clarify?
Brown algae, or green algae, or any color algae works all the same as indicators that your tank is 100% ready. :)