New set up tank, see the picture

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: New set up tank, see the picture

Post by i<3Opae »

Did it appear suddenly? Could be some type of hair algae, doesn’t look like bio film - those appear gradually and not always visible. You might want to take it out before it gets out of control.
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

No it covered the sand before and the surface of the water,and then when i added the second lava rock,the slime from over the sand become visible because i disturbed the sand surface.
Is it make sense?
The hair algae usually green right?!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Take the java fern out. It will die for sure. As for the marimo balls...they probably won't reproduce and thrive either, but they may stick around for a long time. Your "slime" is some kind of bacterial growth....it's probably from your substrate. Just leave everything alone for now and wait for algae growth on on various surfaces...it will either be brown or green. There's really nothing else you need to worry about. It's pretty simple. And try to get that salinity down to about 1.010-12 by using destilled water after scooping out tank water. Make sure to mix the water in the tank after adding distilled water as freshwater tends to just sit on top of saltier water and that will give you wrong salinity readings otherwise.
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

Hi anybody who make time to answer or Mustafa!
As of today my tank pictures! Is it ready to housing shrimps? They are green dots in some places and the slime becomes green too. Its been 4 weeks i guess....still waiting the macroalgae delivered soon.
Please is it the time to order shrimps?
I hope Mustafa answer quickier or anyone that might help me please..
Attachments
IMG_20180109_191332.jpg
IMG_20180109_191257.jpg
IMG_20180109_191215.jpg
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

Hi Erlina_rusli, you can test your tank with snail first. I would add in the shrimp already if I were you BUT this is just me taking "the risk". You might want to wait for more assurance from others.

If you decide to add them,
Please make sure to test the salinity on the water that hold your new shrimp shipment before adding them in. You want to get the closest salinity as possible to the shrimp existing water to reduce possible shock.

Add one shrimp in to test before adding the rest.
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

Hi thanks Mr T for the answer :)
I just tested the salinity around 1.010-1.011.
Im waiting for the macroalgae and not planning to have snails, i want to buy more shrimps, im under limited budget so i wish to buy more shrimps and a moss ball... Is it that important to have snails?
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

Erlina _rusli wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:26 pm Hi thanks Mr T for the answer :)
I just tested the salinity around 1.010-1.011.
Im waiting for the macroalgae and not planning to have snails, i want to buy more shrimps, im under limited budget so i wish to buy more shrimps and a moss ball... Is it that important to have snails?
You are welcome :D . Snail is not necessary for now but in future, if algae breaks out of control you may need them.
Remember to test with 1 shrimp before adding the rest. What I did was speedy I added the rest after one or two hours later. You can read Superproofer thread here
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6153&start=75

This member did a good job waiting longer before adding the rest . I think it's safer that way.
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

Hmmm...i usually not that patient lol
Maybe for couple hours or i acclimate with 10 percents of my water tank every 5 minutes?
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

Erlina _rusli wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:20 pm Hmmm...i usually not that patient lol
Maybe for couple hours or i acclimate with 10 percents of my water tank every 5 minutes?
That will do too :wink: , I too am not a patient person lol.
Observe the 1st shrimp you put in for weird behaviour like swimming off balance, stop paddling and fell on the ground. That indicate something is wrong with the water.
Good luck ya :)
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

Thank youu!!!
I hope this supershrimp really are super lol
They are brackish right , they get used to get different range of salinity, but the ammonia maybe i wait for 1 or 2 more week to buy...
Thanks for the answers and suggestions!
Hope Mustafa saw my tank too i think it is not enough algae in the tank ... I wish it grow faster
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, the tank looks ready and there will be more than enough algae for them to eat.
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

As of today january 23th, 2018
Cannot wait to get the supershrimps
Attachments
IMG_20180123_145012.jpg
Kcirrem
Egg
Egg

Post by Kcirrem »

Where did you get the reddish rocks? They look great!
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

Thank you!
I got them both from amazon petco seller , they picked you randomly
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »