New set up tank, see the picture

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

New set up tank, see the picture

Post by Erlina _rusli »

Hi!
I really dunno how to post a pic here... Just set up a tank for this supershrimp 5 gallon, withlava rock, aragonite sand initially live nut i did rinse it couple times so hopefully cleaned, 1 lime stone, crushed coral all.over, and some babies java fern, hope these will grow, but i didnt acclimate it, and i put 2 invert pellet inside of the tank.
No heater, no aerator, no filter.
I did mix brackish water with 1 cup more ---around 317 grams , 1/2 dose of the reef salt instant ocean recommended for 5 gallon.
It says 1.4 lbs salt can make ocean water with gravity of 1.021 for 5 gallon tank. I mix half of the recommended dosage, is it enough? I used 5 gallon distilled water.
Please let me know! Mustafa thanks
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: New set up tank, see the picture

Post by Erlina _rusli »

My newly set up tank
Attachments
My tank newly set
My tank newly set
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mike.d »

Is your gravity 1.021 or 1.012? 1.021 might be okay for a little while, but you'd want it closer to brackish at 1.012. 1 cup of salt per 5 gallons of water sounds right. I think I used 1/4 cup per gallon. My specific gravity came out 1.012.
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

Hi thanks for the reply
I just follow the direction and make it half way , so it is like 1 cup and lil bit more when i measured the salt into cup measurer that i use for baking. 1.021 for sure it written there in the box for 5 gallon using 1.4 lbs salt , so i did make counting and make it half. So you think i have to add more distilled water to make it 1.012?
And how to acclimate the shrimp well? Should i add lil water from my tank every 5 minutes and then after an hour introduce them to my tank?
Thanks for answers
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

I still waiting for my hydrometer coming...:(
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

From what I’ve been told, to acclimate you just need to get them up to the same temperature as the water and put those little guys in.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

I didn't do anything other than just let the package adjust to my home's room temperature and then just put them in. They were just fine.
Noraelle
Larva
Larva

Post by Noraelle »

I noticed your water looks a little cloudy in that picture; did it settle? I also used aragonite sand and rinsed it for like 20 plus minutes to get rid of the cloudiness in the water. I was under the impression that rinsing the sand well is especially important if one doesn't have a filter, but I'm pretty new at this so maybe someone more seasoned can chime in.
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

My white sand almost covered light green color. I cycled from december 8th, and i washed the aragonite sand couple times to clean the white stuff and the live things in it because it sold as live aragonite sand, i put coral underneath and i put the sand on.there is a hill of crushed coral on the right side. And i put baby java fern hopefully it makes it to live. Anacharis got yellow in it and i throwed it away . I put 2 marimomoss balls and looks it make it there. So now still no algae on the tank wall.im still waiting for macroalgae from mustafa.
What you guys think of this setup?
Attachments
IMG_20171220_154908.jpg
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

Your setup looks nice! But be careful with the marimo. It’ll eventually die off. I wanted to get one for myself too but after reading more and more about it, it can’t survive.
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

Thanks for the info! But how about the java fern? Would it survive in brackish?
Mustafa?
Thanks!
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

I'm pretty sure java fern will die over time.
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

There’s a reason why a lot of plants don’t survive in brackish water. I would just stick to the macroalgae or that other mossball that Mustafa sells
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

So there is no wayjave another plants? ... I have like slime all on the surface of the water and all over the sand,is it normal?
Attachments
IMG_20171223_164815.jpg
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

See the slime next to volcano rock in pic, is it biofilm?
Attachments
IMG_20171223_224618.jpg